Does my warranty cover this?
Jun 21, 2009 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

thatguyoverthere

100+ Head-Fier
I've had a pair of Sennheiser CX500s for about 10 months now.

I've used them several times a week for workouts, where I get very sweaty. Well, my left headphone now has severely reduced volume. I'm wondering if this would still be covered under the 2-year limited warranty. Naturally, I would not mention that I used them for working out, and I doubt they can tell.

It may also be worth noting that there's a rubber piece where the wire meets the headphone that is ripped on the left side. Its been like that for about a month and the damage is completely aesthetic, it hasn't had any actual affect on the sound. That would not be a problem with regard to redeeming the warranty, would it?

Thanks in advanced for any answers.

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 15
I'm not sure why not. Normal usage is usually covered.

Have you called them or emailed them about it?

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 15
While it may not be covered by your warranty, it is always possible to get your product replaced. Back in the day, I had the Guitar Hero X-Plorer controller. My strum bar broke from excessive rocking after the warranty ended - I sent an email that was respectful, yet aggravated, and they sent me the newer Les Paul for free. Same thing happened when my PCs hard drive crashed (Western Digital)

So my recommendation is to send them an email because you can read and reread to ensure that what you've written is both demanding and respectful. They will most likely give you a replacement in response to an email like that, regardless of the condition - especially since they are such a highly renowned company.

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks, that's some useful advice.

At the moment I'm still trying to find my receipt. After I do, I'll be sure to send them an email and hope for the best.

It might be worth it for me to invest in CX380s anyway so that I have something more suited for working out.

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 15
I think you should be okay. I should probably state though that since the CX500 has been discontinued, you'll probably end up with the CX400-II as the replacement. Not sure how the two compare though, but it shouldn't be a downgrade despite the name, since it's the official replacement for the CX500 but at a lower price. Sennheiser's model numbers can be confusing at times...

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 15
interesting, you think that I could get away with a CX380 instead? Since I own a pair of Westone 3s, my CX500s are really just my work-out headphones. The CX 380s would be a much more useful headphone for me and they're actually a little cheaper than the CX500s.

Okay, last question. Amazon.com has a record of my purchase, and it is through Crutchfield which is an authorized reseller of Sennheiser products. That qualifies as a receipt, right?

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 15
I'm not entirely sure, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I would believe Sennheiser would be fine with it considering that the CX380 is cheaper than what the CX500 was selling for. (Of course that could translate to a decrease in sound quality as well.)

Good luck on finding the receipt. Did you buy the CX500s online or B&M? If it's the former, your account should still have the invoice, etc.

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 15
yeah I edited my post if you look. I got the record off amazon.

The CX380 almost definitely has less sound quality, but since it's designed for working out I assume that it'd be better suited for use when I run. I'm a little torn what to do, since I don't want to buy a separate pair for working out, but I don't want to have to replace my pair every year from water damage due to working out. Plus, I don't like the idea of redeeming the same warranty over and over again.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent! I'm glad that everything worked out. Surprised that they still have some CX500 left, since they're no longer listed on the Sennheiser USA website.

you sure they're discontinued? They were pretty easy to find on the website.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 15
I previously thought they were discountinued since they're not on the Sennheiser USA website. Also, they haven't been available on Amazon for several months, and the other models in the series, the CX300 and CX400, are deeply discounted by authorized dealers. Sennheiser's even giving CX300s away (PDF) as part of a promotion. If Sennheiser customer service says otherwise, than I apolgize for my confusion.
[size=xx-small]400
[/size]

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #13 of 15
Nice!

I've had glorious experiences with Etymotic. They even noted on my last RMA that they were purchased used on Head-Fi forums and still serviced without any hassle.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #14 of 15
Nice!

I've had glorious experiences with Etymotic. They even noted on my last RMA that they were purchased used on Head-Fi forums and still serviced without any hassle.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #15 of 15
A month later, I get my headphones. Turns out the CX 500 was discontinued, despite still being on the website. At least, I assume it was, because they sent me a pair a CX 400-ii. And, just my luck, the new pair is defective as well. The vocals are virtually inaudible. Now it looks like I'll be waiting another month before I get my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back