Does music on your device sound better from onboard memory compared to SD card?
Mar 11, 2015 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ari33

100+ Head-Fier
After reading a few posts on here fairly recently where some listeners are pretty sure that music on their devices onboard memory sounds better than from external memory (SD card etc)  Im wondering if there is something in it.
Although unscientific and open to the power of suggestion, I thought it might be interesting to hear peoples opinions after comparing music quality from both memory sources on the devices they own. 

With Sony releasing their Audiophile SD card lets try and decide whether it is an overpriced solution to a device specific issue... or a snake oil product.

If there is enough positive feedback and it looks likely that there may be something in it, we could create a database of devices, setup, player (App) used, headphones used and SD card brands, types and sizes?

Im off to bed where Ill have a near silent background to have a listen to a few familiar 320kbps Mp3 tracks including a silent track (Available here-  www.xamuel.com/blank-mp3s/ ) on my Sony Xperia T (LT30) smartphone in airplane mode using both Neutron and poweramp with TF10's, will report back tomorow night. 

Anyone else up for it?

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 5
Well... all good so far. My budget Class 10 Qunox 32Gb SD card is a keeper! :wink:

I could hear absolutely no discernable difference in SQ between both internal memory and SD card with my Experia T, even the silent mp3 track gave no hint of any increased electrical noise with the SD card.

I suppose I must try the comparison with my other devices on the off chance that its a device specific thing.

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 5
I found a small difference in sound quality with my Teclast T51. In winter when the player was cold the sound from the microSD card seemed a little brighter and not so well defined as identical files on the onboard memory. Once the player warmed up (not a problem as this player generates a fair amount of heat while playing) this change in sound quality from the microSD slot is not apparent.

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 5
None at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back