Does Mac O/S handle DAC same as Windows?
Jun 20, 2021 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mgh24

100+ Head-Fier
Probably a silly question, but I have a Mac mini, and Mac OS is still a mystery to me.

As I understand it, with my Windows machine, as long as I select my DAC as output device, it bypasses all processing done by the PC, just sends digital file to stand alone DAC to do it's job.

Is the same true with Mac O/S?

It has been a challenge just to find a music player with a good UI that can handle something other than AAC for goodness sake!

Only reason I am considering the change, is that the PC I have been using for my music station is getting old, and I need to use this Mini for something. It is quiet, which is a good thing.

Anyway, if someone with patience can answer this for me, I would appreciate it!

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 3
As I understand it, with my Windows machine, as long as I select my DAC as output device, it bypasses all processing done by the PC, just sends digital file to stand alone DAC to do it's job.
No.
All most all operating systems including Win and Max support multiple audio streams.
Logical consequence, all audio is re-sampled to the settings in the Audio Panel (Win) or Audio Midi (https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/OSX/AudioMidi.htm)

Inherent to this is that all audio is converted to float, mixed (even if 1 stream is playing), dithered and converted back to integer).
Anyway, iTunes or what it is called today is not limited to AAC only.
There are alternatives: https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/OSX/Players.htm

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you!

So I misunderstood, for the last 4-5 years, what my PC was doing!!

Now, as I am reading about different software players, I read people stating that the software is affecting the sound of the file. Again, something I understood was taken care of by bypassing PC directly to DAC - unless of course I am using an equalizer or some other way of manually adjusting my music through the player.

Many thanks for the links, I will spend some time reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back