Does Koss make any good full sized headpone models?
Aug 6, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

I agree.  I would like to hear more about what owners think of the current Koss products.

Well, I owned a pair of UR-40s until the plug on them gave out one day while I was on the bus on the way back from the tech school, which sucked, 'cause I loved those things to pieces.

They had the best sound I had ever heard from a mid-priced pair of headphones, and were by far the most comfortable too. Their only negative is they leaked sound like crazy due to being open-back.

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:
Yes, but they have a very high rate of failure...which is why they're never recommended, even though you can sometimes find them on sale between $350-500 used.

That big Koss ESP/950 thread in the High-end Audio forum suggests otherwise as far as never being recommended go. If anything, they're considered one of the better values in higher-end headphones out there, although you can also get used Stax Lambda setups in the same price range.

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:
This thread is from '02, I doubt your posts can contribute anything at this point.

They do.

Up to date koss exchanged product quality for lifetime warranty marketing and the DJ100 is an untypical Koss product in their headphone line up. 

The pro4 line is low budget developed and manufactured for the warranty marketing. 
I've got the pro4AAAT and AAT here in Europe for outlet price without the marketing warranty. 
Within of 2 years of home using the pro4aat looks really bad. 
The plastic hinges lost the force clamp for the needed Isolation.
The rubber headband lost glue contact. 
Ear pads should be deeper for different head sizes and seal. 
The pro4aaat has one cracked capsule. The titanium coating has a horrible tolerance and break trough in using..The knobbed Headband is a torture like the K701. The headphone smells like soap and the upper optical synthetic leather lost glue.
Perforated plate not well fitted.
Vinylpads are within of 200 hours of use slightly hardened. Bad for the seal.
Resonating enclosure and half open back. Nice Idea, but pathetic made. 
Both headphones are plastic painted. It takes a lot of experience and money to know about the painting process on plastic.
Without the koss warranty these products are for the bin. Fast food for the mass consumption and definitely not a professional and good meal.
Should i comment the MV1?

I put my hands on different pro4aa generations with a sloping quality curve.

The next point is how the us consumer is looking on manufacturers and how us manufacturers selling their products in other countries.
The pro 4 line is prized out about 200€. Grado is expensive too. The Dj100 cost about 100$ and the PP 30$. With the extended warranty you pay much more. Pro4aaat deal of the month.
The us market is totaly different and Koss try to expanse in eastern Europe with their crappy Headphones.
Switzerland  is the European Koss central. Take a look on availability on koss Headphones in this country.
Koss as a low budget manufacturer can not sell the dj100 for 100$ with good condition for education and maintenance on his workers, That is typical for your country. A lot of people are looking trough money, work only for big money and the freedom of high consumption. I see the same indications in Europe. Take the clothing industry.  

The ESP line has a bad quality control and manufacturing process. The same on the A250. With the right workman skills and manufacturing process both products  could compete with concurrency high end products. The A250 was only 5 years on the market and i paid about 300$ in Europe for Mister Koss. For a dynamic, professional headphone from Mister Koss, here are the facts.
My A250 was within of 5000hours use in two years countless times in repair.  
Perforated plate not glued in.
Synthetic Headband hardened. 
2x broken cable trough lost cable softener with skin contact. I have beyerdynamic and superlux headphones an no problems with the cables or the headband. No problem with the older Koss HV. Far better quality on materials and construction.
The hinge to headband connector was only 2 point glued. Sorry, but this is shameless work and manufacturing control. But with bad paid workers and training you get bad products.Let the consumer paying. 
Fast degraded acoustic foam. 
At all no lifetime warranty. 

Next point the frame Resonances, not well sealing and cheapest ear-pads.
Some centric problems with the voice coil.

I have some older Koss replacement cables from the H/x and cable bridges with cable relief instead of cable knot.
Well made product parts. 
Koss could easily manufacture something like the Dtxx0 and they did in the past.

The Koss products within the marketing strategy can't compete with products in European countries and German quality standards. The KSC and PP is a different thing, Low budgets phones for the mass but with Superlux products EOL.
The HD330 is the PP aletrantive in high-res. With some modifications a really good and well constructed full-size phone for the price.

Here are some older Koss products. Ask yourself why Koss don't give us the PP Headset.
Would be a good choice for quality home communication. The HQ1 headset is the choice of the intelligent Koss Marketing like the mega bass of the Dj100. The A/250 came with massive bass Marketing. 

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:
Quote:
This thread is from '02, I doubt your posts can contribute anything at this point.

They do.

Up to date koss exchanged product quality for lifetime warranty marketing and the DJ100 is an untypical Koss product in their headphone line up. 

The pro4 line is low budget developed and manufactured for the warranty marketing. 
I've got the pro4AAAT and AAT here in Europe for outlet price without the marketing warranty. 
Within of 2 years of home using the pro4aat looks really bad. 
The plastic hinges lost the force clamp for the needed Isolation.
The rubber headband lost glue contact. 
Ear pads should be deeper for different head sizes and seal. 
The pro4aaat has one cracked capsule. The titanium coating has a horrible tolerance and break trough in using..The knobbed Headband is a torture like the K701. The headphone smells like soap and the upper optical synthetic leather lost glue.
Perforated plate not well fitted.
Vinylpads are within of 200 hours of use slightly hardened. Bad for the seal.
Resonating enclosure and half open back. Nice Idea, but pathetic made. 
Both headphones are plastic painted. It takes a lot of experience and money to know about the painting process on plastic.
Without the koss warranty these products are for the bin. Fast food for the mass consumption and definitely not a professional and good meal.
Should i comment the MV1?

I put my hands on different pro4aa generations with a sloping quality curve.

The next point is how the us consumer is looking on manufacturers and how us manufacturers selling their products in other countries.
The pro 4 line is prized out about 200€. Grado is expensive too. The Dj100 cost about 100$ and the PP 30$. With the extended warranty you pay much more. Pro4aaat deal of the month.
The us market is totaly different and Koss try to expanse in eastern Europe with their crappy Headphones.
Switzerland  is the European Koss central. Take a look on availability on koss Headphones in this country.
Koss as a low budget manufacturer can not sell the dj100 for 100$ with good condition for education and maintenance on his workers, That is typical for your country. A lot of people are looking trough money, work only for big money and the freedom of high consumption. I see the same indications in Europe. Take the clothing industry.  

The ESP line has a bad quality control and manufacturing process. The same on the A250. With the right workman skills and manufacturing process both products  could compete with concurrency high end products. The A250 was only 5 years on the market and i paid about 300$ in Europe for Mister Koss. For a dynamic, professional headphone from Mister Koss, here are the facts.
My A250 was within of 5000hours use in two years countless times in repair.  
Perforated plate not glued in.
Synthetic Headband hardened. 
2x broken cable trough lost cable softener with skin contact. I have beyerdynamic and superlux headphones an no problems with the cables or the headband. No problem with the older Koss HV. Far better quality on materials and construction.
The hinge to headband connector was only 2 point glued. Sorry, but this is shameless work and manufacturing control. But with bad paid workers and training you get bad products.Let the consumer paying. 
Fast degraded acoustic foam. 
At all no lifetime warranty. 

Next point the frame Resonances, not well sealing and cheapest ear-pads.
Some centric problems with the voice coil.

I have some older Koss replacement cables from the H/x and cable bridges with cable relief instead of cable knot.
Well made product parts. 
Koss could easily manufacture something like the Dtxx0 and they did in the past.

The Koss products within the marketing strategy can't compete with products in European countries and German quality standards. The KSC and PP is a different thing, Low budgets phones for the mass but with Superlux products EOL.
The HD330 is the PP aletrantive in high-res. With some modifications a really good and well constructed full-size phone for the price.

Here are some older Koss products. Ask yourself why Koss don't give us the PP Headset.
Would be a good choice for quality home communication. The HQ1 headset is the choice of the intelligent Koss Marketing like the mega bass of the Dj100. The A/250 came with massive bass Marketing. 

I meant contribute anything to the OP. This seems to be the only forum that doesn't freak out over bringing up an old thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back