Does it often seem that the right channel is louder?
Jan 19, 2006 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

dead of night

100+ Head-Fier
It seems to me that recording engineers often balance the vocals and instruments so that the right side gets most of the music. I know I could have a hearing imbalance but has anyone else noticed the same thing?

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 23
Of course this is very subjective, but I have noticed the same. I never assume that it is the way that the music was intended to be recorded, but rather some kind of mental/physical issue with me. I only tend to think this on my ksc75's though, so maybe something is wrong with them.

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 23
I felt this during first few weeks with my hd555 but it seems to have changed a bit or im just used to it.I never noticed it with my ksc75.Maybe it has to do with our ear health.

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 23
It depends on the music you are listening to, and where instruments are situated in the stereo spectrum. This can sometimes be annoying, especially when bass is dominantly one channel.

Jan 20, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 23
Flip your headphones around and see if the emphasis moves to your left ear. If it stays on the right ear, you've got a hearing imbalance...

Jan 20, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dead of night
It seems to me that recording engineers often balance the vocals and instruments so that the right side gets most of the music. I know I could have a hearing imbalance but has anyone else noticed the same thing?

the imbalance is probably in your ears.

do you listen to the car radio alot while driving? there you have your answer. If you drive, most likely the radio will be lourder on the left side, thus impairing your perception of what is balanced.
this would most likely explain why your right ear is more sensitve to sound.

thats my guess.

Jan 20, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 23
Lately, I have been going nuts determining whether I have an imbalance issue, or not! Some cans have a wider soundstage than others, and when I start to compare, I get fooled into thinking that there is a problem.

Unfortunately, I had a pair of 225's that just didn't seem right, so I just returned them for a swap, and the new pair now is perfect.

If after you try switching the earcups, the sound seems more on the left, then don't doubt your judgement, get another pair of cans!
icon10.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Since I listen to mostly orchestral music, the left side gets most of the music. The violins sit on the left, and they usually carry the melody.

That is an excellent reason to use a cross feed if I've ever heard one. I find orchestral music hard to listen to on headphones because of that.

Jan 21, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 23
can anybody with the Eric Clapton - UNPLUGGED CD please confirm this:
to me it seems that erics voice and his guitar are mixed to the middle right side. is this right?
its just strange that the voice does not come from the middle

Jan 21, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 23
With most jazz I have noticed a lean to the left. Or at least it seems the brass is more to the left.

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #12 of 23
Nope, most mixes seem pretty well balanced to me excepting the classical as noted in a previous post...

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 23
In a lot of songs I notice the same stuff as you, "more sound on the right side" but it does change if I switch earcups, try that.

Also, listen to "the grouch" by green day, the intro should be heard on your left side, and the voice exactly in the middle, at least it is that way for me ...
hope this helps...(dunno why, since I didn't actually answer anything, lol)

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #14 of 23
I think that whilst vocals tend to come down the middle in a lot of rock music the overall sound seems shifted slightly to the right. I think this may be becasue drums are generally also placed in the middle or rather the kick drum is. The Hi-Hat and snare which is what is mainly used tend to be on the drummers left hence our right when listening. As such the whole thing feels moved slightly to the right, especially as bass is often mixed slightly on that side too. This is probably total clap trap but just a little theory that came to me whilst reading the post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back