Does it matter.. what I use to rip?
Dec 13, 2007 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JamesL

1000+ Head-Fier
Does it matter what optical drive I use when I rip music to my hard drive?

Does it matter if I have a good ADC, and will the quality differ depending on what speeds I use to rip it?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 6
I am pretty sure the answer is yes as some drives are more reliable than others and some have error-correction features that can make the process of checking accuracy faster and more reliable if the software supports it (some more experienced folks here will hopefully weigh in with the technical details). Also, ripping at different speeds will definitely affect error rates. I use dbpoweramp, and one of the methods it uses for secure ripping is to rip multiple times at different speeds to compare results. You need to make sure your ripping software takes advantage of the festures of your drive. Most programs will also run tests on your drives to identify which is more reliable and has better error-checking features. EAC and dbpoweramp seem to be the options most people here prefer. The latter has been easier for me to set up and use (at a cost of $28 after a 30-day trial). Good luck!

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 6
The drive dose matter but more important is the method (software) you use to rip the disc. I would suggest EAC in secure mode and rip with the "test & copy" option.

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconnaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything matters.

Sure does.

The best software cannot make up for a NEC's craptastic ripping of CDs.

When ripping, nothing analog matters. You don't use an ADC. Speed...maybe. Changing it can help if you're having problems.

I don't know if there are any other good choices, but as soon as I get my DAC stuff squared away (I'm paying for making the switch to Linux
smily_headphones1.gif
), I'm getting a Samsung SH203B. It looks like an awesome ripper, and good burner. But, it never hurts anything but your free time to lurk around CDFreaks for more options and info.

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 6
The drive certainly do matter.
But more important are the software your use for ripping the disc. You want something which can handle C2 errors, and preferably work around the drive cache.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back