Does it matter.....really?
Jul 6, 2010 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

poloman

New Head-Fier
If you get a great amp, does it really matter what DAP you get? Why not get a new 160 GB Ipod and pair it with a great amp and cans. Am I correct? I just bought a Sony E345 for my wife, should I amp it or leave it alone? What IEM's should I get her? If the Ipod is the way to go, what would be a good match for it ...amp, IEM and LOD ? Thanks in advance!

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 5
The DAC in the iPod (well some of them) is pretty good, but to really take advantage of it you need to mod it. Of course, buying an expensive high performance DAC is going to be better than any iPod. Your music is only as good as it's source.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 5
I do think most debates over source are exaggerated, most of them are pretty decent, you should put as much money into transducers as you can first and if they need amplification, then spend what you need there.

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I do think most debates over source are exaggerated, most of them are pretty decent, you should put as much money into transducers as you can first and if they need amplification, then spend what you need there.

+1. Differences mostly are between the generations of DACs (e.g. 1990 and 2010). Take an old entry level CD player, and you will see what I am talking about, it sounds like crap. Differences between modern DACs are very subtle to none. Do a blind, volume-matched comparison using the same amp, and you'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back