Does it matter how many devices share a socket?
Mar 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

owenhan

100+ Head-Fier
I have two wall sockets near my computer. One of them is connected to a daisy chain of 3 powerboards which power my computer, monitor, speakers, phone, router, printer, lamp, and phone charger.

The other socket is connected to a powerboard with just my amp and dac. So I'm wondering two things:

1. Thread title - do I have too much drawing power from one socket?
2. Does the number of devices a piece of audio equipment is sharing a power socket with affect sq in any way?

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 10
I wouldn't daisy-chain power strips - it's a potential fire hazard. Although if you had a single 8-outlet one, you could probably get away with running all that off one strip fine.

In short, yes, you CAN connect too much to one socket, although in your case you're probably fine for now.

For your second question, I'm not a qualified expert. If you REALLY overload the circuit and the power starts getting screw (over/undervolting), that could concievably damage your equipment (although I'm not sure about an effect on sound quality), but past that I'm not sure.

Mar 2, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by owenhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have two wall sockets near my computer. One of them is connected to a daisy chain of 3 powerboards which power my computer, monitor, speakers, phone, router, printer, lamp, and phone charger.

The other socket is connected to a powerboard with just my amp and dac. So I'm wondering two things:

1. Thread title - do I have too much drawing power from one socket?
2. Does the number of devices a piece of audio equipment is sharing a power socket with affect sq in any way?

You would be lucky to be pulling 2 amps with what you have running which is nothing at all to worry about.
If you have no noise coming through the amp then you have nothing to worry about with sq.

Mar 2, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice. I like the power strip P4320. Always fun to have more information to obsess over.

...now why did you have to show me that.
ph34r.gif
I'd never noticed that model...thanks a lot. Must have.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would be lucky to be pulling 2 amps with what you have running which is nothing at all to worry about.
If you have no noise coming through the amp then you have nothing to worry about with sq.

I agree. I've plugged almost every appliance,tool,stereo gear,etc that I could think of in my house into the Kill A Watt. Even a 65" RPTV, 5 channel amp (600 watt RMS),DVD player,cable box,PS3,and more(on a surge strip) doesn't add up to much amperage and less than 500 watts.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 10
Ok thanks guys. I was just a little paranoid about how sensitive audio equipment is to power seeing as how people buy filters and special power cables and all that.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 10
the only problem you personally have is that you daisy chained power strips. that is a big no-no. go to radio shack and get some of those "pigtail" 6" extension cords and plug them in one power strip. that is still not so cool though. better yet get a bigger power strip. that is the proper solution. you do not seem to be pulling too much amperage though.

you would be surprised what it takes to pull 15 amps with a/v,computer equipment. of course a vaccum or hairdryer has no problem doing it. different types of appliances.

music_man

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Mar 2, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 10
Yet another duplicate post when using Google Chrome...........
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back