Does it matter how I rip to FLAC?
Jun 2, 2007 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mr00000

100+ Head-Fier
Currently I'm using WinAmp to rip to FLAC. This seemed like the easiest to set up compared to EAC or CDEX. I would think that FLAC is FLAC is FLAC... is there anything wrong with just using Winamp?

Thanks much,

Mr00000

Jun 2, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 9
FLAC is FLAC. Meaning that the input audio data always will be stored without data loss.

But the quality of the input audio data may vary, depending on the condition of the CD you rip (scratches, etc.) and the accuracy of the ripper engine. EAC are known for being "the best" CD ripper, but cdparanoia (used by CDex, Max, etc.) are very reliable as well.

Jun 2, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 9
Yes, I know of / am a fan of the paranoia function in CDEX. So, it would be best for me to leave the ease / comfort of Winamp and go to EAC?

Jun 2, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 9
If your CD's are not badly scratched I guess WinAmp will make identical rips as CDex and EAC. Badly scratched CD's might be different matter.

I say stick with WinAmp. Then use CDex or EAC for those stubborn CD's if you ever run into problems.

Jun 2, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 9
EAC really isn't hard to use at all.. once you get past the setup procedure (which is quite simple if you follow the guide here), it's a breeze to rip
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 9
The main advantage of EAC for me is that when a CD is scratched and a song is going to have skips in it, EAC tells me that as soon as it finishes ripping. Or it just gets hung up. Other rippers will just rip the song with skips and I have to discover the skips on my own.

But if a CD is in perfect condition, I wouldn't think it would matter what you used.

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmyers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main advantage of EAC for me is that when a CD is scratched and a song is going to have skips in it, EAC tells me that as soon as it finishes ripping.

The reference version of dbPowerAmp will do this as well, though it is not free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back