Does it deserve to have a DAC between you Hi Fi and you Headphone ?
Feb 21, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't need a Amp for listen to my DVD as the sound go through TV and have enough power for my Grado sr60

But if i buy a DAC with optical/coaxial input for listen to my DVD you're right i should buy one with external AC power-supply

About using MicroDAC & MicroAmp i prefer buy 1 combo who can do both rather then buy 2 units

The question is the optical/coaxial input for listen directly from my DVD coaxial output will give a real better difference conpare to what i can ear now when i listen it on the headphone of my TV ? ,same as i one i found between my Hi Fi or DVD compare to my PC (Asus A8N-SLI) ?

If you are routing the sound back through your TV, it seems very unlikely to me that an external DAC will have an useful affect at all. If you go with an external DAC, you need to go for external ampliufication too. The Total Bithead, the MictStack (DAC+amp), and the Meier-Audio Corda Aria that MaloS refers to would all qualify. The advantage of the microstack is that you would also have the coaxial input. If DVDs are your focus, that does make some sense. It also costs dollars.

Anyone: perhaps there are less expensive solutions out there for a DAC with coaxial input? The MicroDAC is $300.

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Consider Meier-Audio Corda Aria. Dedicated amp that is made to work with a power supply and can also use USB as input from a computer (basically big bad bithead). Unfortunately it does not accept any other digital inputs, or it would be a complete marvel. $460 if you order straight from Meier.

Yes i saw it and if he add a digital inputs i think i'll buy it

As i said i think i'll buy only one DAC and keep it until he work, that's why i want to buy one who can give really better sound everywhere he can

About % it's a good example, for me the difference i ear between my Hi Fi and my PC is around 20 or 30 % that's why i want to buy a DAC

If a DAC with digital inputs can give me around 20 % better for my DVD ( who is = to my Hi Fi) i'll go for a DAC with digital inputs, if he can add only 5 % i won't

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #18 of 32
Consider Zhalou DAC, stock is not as good but cheaper than MicroDAC, apparently when modded correctly can be kept within the same price but better, takes digital inputs. (no personal experience, I chose the Micro DAC's simplicity and effectiveness). Also, as stated, DAC is meaningless without a decent amp, although for Grados you could go for some portable high-current ones that don't cost all that much and get excellent results.

Feb 21, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Consider Zhalou DAC, stock is not as good but cheaper than MicroDAC, apparently when modded correctly can be kept within the same price but better, takes digital inputs. (no personal experience, I chose the Micro DAC's simplicity and effectiveness). Also, as stated, DAC is meaningless without a decent amp, although for Grados you could go for some portable high-current ones that don't cost all that much and get excellent results.

according to a trusted friend of mine, simply getting the discrete headphone option already makes the zhaolu 2.5A better than the microdac. the microdac is almost exactly the same as the zhaolu 2.5C and uses many of the same parts, but the zhaolu has so much potential with upgrades.

Feb 21, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #20 of 32
ya, overall Zhalou has plenty of space to win for those who are willing to work it. Now looking at it I might have chosen Zhalou, but honestly not regretting it...next step is SACD anyways.

Feb 22, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #21 of 32
get a good amp first!

if it was me I would buy the HR MicroAmp and then take the time to save up the extra $150 needed to add to the $450 your willing to spend total now to get the MicroDAC too.

the MicroAmp should give you the most enjoyment for you SR60's and then the MicroDAC would be like adding the icing to the cake.

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #22 of 32
personally i went this way and was happy with it...
decent can
amp
source
great amp
amazing source
amazing headphone

i dont think your going to get alot of improvment with enrty hps and an entry dac over a good amp

I would look into some of the DIY amps listed in the FS forum
-greg

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #23 of 32
http://cgi.ebay.com/TDA1543-Non-OS-D...QQcmdZViewItem

Hmmm this might be worth a try. I don't see any issues with it as a DAC function, spdif output, optical/digital/usb inputs, solid build, and very positive responses to the manufacturer. I'd give it a shot if I did not exceed my head-fi splurging quota for this quarter already.
The only thing you would need is once again an amp, and something like a C&C Box would do just fine.

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TDA1543-Non-OS-D...QQcmdZViewItem

Hmmm this might be worth a try. I don't see any issues with it as a DAC function, spdif output, optical/digital/usb inputs, solid build, and very positive responses to the manufacturer. I'd give it a shot if I did not exceed my head-fi splurging quota for this quarter already.
The only thing you would need is once again an amp, and something like a C&C Box would do just fine.

That does look interesting. Actually I've been surfing both this forum and the Internet like mad today and the more I look, the more the Headroom Microdac is making sense. It looks like it might be one component that you can buy, use and forget while the amp madness continues forever. However, it's not claiming to be "Non-Oversampled" like the linked DAC. Is non-OS a big advantage?

Feb 22, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

).Also, as stated, DAC is meaningless without a decent amp,.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get a good amp first! .

BitHead is a Amp too no ? they claim "sweet analog headphone amp to use with your portable player" http://www.headphone.com/products/he...al-bithead.php
blink.gif

EDIT: i just check the Hi FI i have now have a Optical Output ! , i never pay attention to that cause i didn't knew what was a DAC
wink.gif

It's a Sony MHC-WZ50 (mini Hi Fi, mid range model) so now it's simple, does listening from Optical Output compare to from headphone output will give me better result of 1 %, 10 %, 30 % ?

About Zhalou DAC i think i prefer as beginer buy in a well know place with good customer service like Headroom, Meier, Headphonia...
wink.gif

Thank's guys
rs1smile.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #26 of 32
If you could just tell me how much difference you think i'll can ear from a mini Hi Fi, mid range model (mine is Sony MHC-WZ50) between Optical Output > DAC/Amp or from headphone output ? 1 %, 10 %, 30 % ?

Under 5 % i won't buy a Amp/DAC with optical/coaxial input
More then 10 % i'll choose a Amp/DAC with optical/coaxial input

Need you advice before spend money for something i'll regret (to buy or to not buy
icon10.gif
)

Feb 22, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #27 of 32
I think you need to study up on what exactly a DAC and amp are.
A DAC is a digital to analog converter. It takes the ones and zeros off of the cd and turns it into a signal that your amp can understand.
then the amp takes that signal and makes it stronger by coupling it with DC power to make it powerful enough to drive the drivers in your head phones
you DVD player already has a DAC, which is why my suggestion would be to get a nice amp, and then later you can upgrade the source, be it just a new dac or a totaly new CDP.
-greg

Feb 22, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you need to study up on what exactly a DAC and amp are.
A DAC is a digital to analog converter. It takes the ones and zeros off of the cd and turns it into a signal that your amp can understand.
then the amp takes that signal and makes it stronger by coupling it with DC power to make it powerful enough to drive the drivers in your head phones
you DVD player already has a DAC, which is why my suggestion would be to get a nice amp, and then later you can upgrade the source, be it just a new dac or a totaly new CDP.
-greg

You're right i need to learn, that's what i do since a week
cool.gif

I think i understand the that a DAC is not a Amp, but at headphone.com they say that BitHead is both a Amp and a DAC, you mean that BitHead can act as Amp for analogic source and as DAC (for my PC via USB) but Don't amplify the sound i'll have from my PC then ? raise the volume of my PC will not give me enough volume to listen music from my PC ?

Thank's

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #29 of 32
Bithead:
think of it as 2 things in one.
{[DAC] -> [Amp]} = {Bithead}

You have a USB input, which will be used by the DAC, the DAC will output into the Amp, and the Amp will produce output that your headphones can use. Or you can use the other input which will feed directly into the amplifier, bypassing the input, just making the signal louder. You will not be using the volume control from windows either way, Bithead has a built-in knob which is much better.

Now, to go through other products:
Meier Audio Porta Corda USB will operate same way as Bithead, I just prefer corda's sound and the fact that it can run on an external power supply, while Bithead is limited to usb/batteries.
Headroom Micro DAC: serves only as the DAC stage, the signal is very powerful with potential of frying your headphones, that is the reason you need the amp partly, partly the amp has some other effects apart from attenuation (providing more current at lower voltage primarely, allowing end-frequencies to be protrayed better (mids/highs).
Zhalou DAC: In basic mode - same as Micro DAC. Basic upgrade that can be done to it before purchasing (there are a few others) - adds a headphone out, and a pretty good one, apparently powerful enough to drive some of the more power hungry phones (no personal experience, but coming from people with experience). Additional to the headphone out upgrade you can improve the DAC chip to the same one that is used by the Micro DAC, which overall matches their quality 'to say', they are generally very similar in build, but the Zhalou is regarded to be better with overall potential. It also has a line-out as a typical DAC to add better amplifiers later on.

Overall moral of this - bithead is an entry-level dac/amp combination to be used solely with computers and portable players, same goes for Porta Corda, but I find it to be more versatile and comfortable. Micro DAC is a very specific limited component, although it is pretty good and nicely small. Zhalou is by far more versatile and has most potential so it can be regarded as the best of the group for stationary product. Unlike the others it cannot run on batteries, but it has a good dedicated headphone out, it accepts all inputs (while bithead/corda only take usb/line-out, no optical/digital), and it has good potential for CHEAP upgrades that allow it to be improved shall your ears desire it. And its starting price is $200 I believe?

In short, I suggest for you to grab the Zhalou to try all the possibilities, and it allows you to keep things simple if you like to.

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #30 of 32
So i'll go for BitHead, the only reason i hesitate was thinking that another AMP/DAC with optical/coaxial input can have a better DAC then the DAC in my mid range Hi Fi, which look not probable

Thank's
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back