Does inverting the Discman stablize the spinning?
May 2, 2004 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

krayzie

500+ Head-Fier
I've read somewhere on the Net recently that some new CD decks require the disc to be inserted upside down in order to stablize the spinning... Just wondering if anybody else heard of this, and would this improve things if I put my Discman upside down? hehe

May 2, 2004 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 4
well back when i owned a RioVolt SP250 it decided to be cool and have the motor kinda wear down... the only way you could get it to read a cd was by holding the player upside down. by holding it down it eliminated some of the friction in the motor somewheres i think....

May 2, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 4
I don't know if the change in mechanics might be due to the fact that the top of a cd tends to be minutely heavier due to paint and acrylics that makes up the cd's label but it makes a bit of sense since a cd/platter's balance are generally focused on two things: the spindle and centrifugal force. I don't think flipping your Discman over is going to help anything though since it probably is not built that way. It could be bad to flip your discman over since that makes it more likely to lose contact with the spindle and stop spinning, or worse, slip from the spindle and cause damage to your cd or player.

May 2, 2004 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 4
well, I an MD player once that normally had problems, but played fine when upside down. I guess the bit holding the disc somehow became instable over time (and some slight abuse
wink.gif
), but was stabilised by being pulled down by the weight of the disc.

I can't help but wonder, with CD technology as old as it is, if instable spinning was a problem, why hasn't anyone ever noticed anything wrong? besides, those things spin so fast, I doubt it gets any more stable than it already is. and if it improves, how would one notice that?

I'm a bit sceptical....sounds a bit too much like a green marker story to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back