Does hotmail.com work for you?
Sep 3, 2003 at 10:36 PM Post #16 of 18
**** please. The amount of spam you get with hotmail is no different than any other major free provider. I have had a hotmail account for years and it gets less spam than my comcast account.

BTW, works fine for me today.

Sep 3, 2003 at 11:44 PM Post #17 of 18
I beg to differ. I haven't used my hotmail account for 2 years, and it still receives spam mail. In fact, I just reactivated it to verify how much spam mail I will receive. My yahoo account gets some spam, but nowhere near as much as hotmail. Nor my mail.com account.

Granted, the more visibility your email address has (i.e. when you sign up for accounts, etc) equates to increased spam. My Bigfoot email forwarding receives mass quantities of spam from when I was still stupid and actually gave out my email address.

In fact, Wired news even had an article about how spammers run attacks against Hotmail servers to gain up to the minute lists. This article was just further validation of my experiences.
http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...,57132,00.html

Sep 4, 2003 at 5:07 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Chinchy
I beg to differ. I haven't used my hotmail account for 2 years, and it still receives spam mail.

I'm with penvzila on this one. Once your address gets on spam list, its on and will be forever even if the account no longer exists. If you don't like it, get a different one. Spammers search out new addresses but do (practically) nothing to take addresses of inactive accounts off. I have an AOL address that has been set to block all e-mail for 4 years now and last time I turned it on, it was still getting 20+spams a day.

As to hotmail, I have two hotmail addresses that I use for different things and one gets 15 spams a day while the other gets 1-2 per week. One thing you have to do when you set up the account is make sure you set it NOT to show up on there directory service "so other hotmail members can see you". This keeps you away from the problem disscussed in wired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back