Does Hornet make sense if sound source limited?
Dec 1, 2006 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rlmoss

New Head-Fier
I'm using a Phillips PCDP & Audio Technica Art 7 (audiophile closed back) picked up in Taiwan & Ety 6. (Since back, I put together very budget loudspeaker system using Paradigm Atom & Si-5 T Amp.)

I've been thinking about logical upgrade path & one thought was Ray Samuels Audio Hornet. Sam Tellig & Stereophile very positive; Sam did note that Ray chided him because Sam's PCDP did not have dedicated line out. The Asian Phillips certainly doesn't: line out is inscribed on the left and "headphones" on the right.

Does the Hornet make sense at this time or would it be wiser to defer and get digital source amongst entry Cambridge, Music Hall, or NAD.

I should be clear: I listen to music home & don't carry PCDP; I had the Phillip in Taiwan because I needed it for lanugage instruction.

Appreciate any advice; many thanks,

Richard Moss
Washington DC

Dec 1, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 3
rlmoss says:
Quote:

Does Hornet make sense if sound source limited?

I would wait for two reasons:
(1) I would wait for a line-out source before spending the extra money;

and;

(2) The Hornet is for portable use. If all your listening is done in the home, a home, 110v system may make more sense in the long run. I am not a home head-fi so I can't help you, but there are all kinds of options (digital and analog) in home headphone amplification. I think you can get a bigger bang for the buck in home amps.

Good Luck

Dec 2, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 3
Seems like your approach isn't the best. Most people think either source first or speakers (or cans) first, or they try matching all components at once. Seems the best approach is to settle on either end (cans or source) and try matching components to it. Just randomly picking some amp that may or may not work well with your current stuff, and might limit your options in the future, seems the worst way to go.

Then again, I'm kind of torn here because the worst part of a pcdp is usually the power amp output, so an amplifier is usually the best way to upgrade a cheap player, even if that contradicts the advice above.

Also, have you heard the amp? Have you heard it with a variety of equipment and music? Listening is really the best way (really, the only way) to settle on some particular piece of equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back