Does headphones really need balancing at all?
Jun 18, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
I've heard the HD-650 balanced and I'll say IMO that it was much better in a lot of ways. I can see how many would prefer it to being unbalanced. It was tighter and more controlled, I guess that's the pull/pull thing working.
Anyway, I heard it on Alwayswantsmore's Wadia system, the bass didn't extend as far or have as much weight so pitting an unbalanced 650 against this particular balanced one...

The balanced cable DevilDog heard on my Wadia was Moon's BDv2. The one that went deeper (again from my Wadia) I believe was the Zu, right DevilDog? I ended up returning the Moon and went to the Zu Mobius balanced. At least for my rig (and my ears), the Zu was a better match. To be fair, Moon's Silver Dragon (which I have not heard) is probably a closer match to the Zu. Bottom line: Yes it went deeper, but we were comparing two different cables at the time.

I've heard a handful of cans off my Wadia unbalanced, and the HD 650 balanced with the two cables referenced above. IMO the soundstage is much larger when balanced -- and I like a big open soundstage with bunches of air -- so my preference leans toward balanced.

BTW: At the same headfi meet we tried my balanced HD 650s off a DAC-1, and it did not reach the same level of performance. So when it comes to getting top SQ, balanced in itself is not a guarantee of sonic excellence.

Did you see the balanced 101 thread in my sig? Covers some of the basics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back