Does HDMI cable quality matter (not purely audio, I know...)
Dec 6, 2007 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Illah

1000+ Head-Fier
...but I trust you guys on this forum and AVS is an overcrowded mess
wink.gif

Anyway, title says it all. Of course I don't mean using cheap garbage vs. fancy-pants stuff, but I'm talking the difference between a decent well built $15-20 cable and the higher end stuff in a 6-10' run.

Since HDMI is all digital I don't see cables doing much once you get out of the garbage range, especially on short runs. I use stock DVI cables with my computer monitors and HDMI is the same thing, and I've never had concerns with picture quality (and I video edit, photo edit, etc). That leads me to believe that it doesn't matter.

For example, this is what I'm thinking of:

20627-6-.#20627-6 HDMI A-A, M/M, Supports 1080p & Version 1.3 , 6'-Central Computer Systems Inc.

I already have a DVI-HDMI of the same brand for my DVD player and it looks perfectly good to me, but the perfectionist side of me forces me to ask for opinions anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

--Illah

Dec 6, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 14
Just saw this Blue Jeans article and it makes a lot of sense:

HDMI vs. Component Video -- Blue Jeans Cable

Funny, because before having an HDMI cable I had my dish receiver hooked up via very high-quality component cables...and I could have sworn it looked better than with HDMI! But my thinking was, "Digital bit-perfect *has* to be better."

Hmmm, might swap them around and take another look...

--Illah

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 14
PC World tested various HDMI cables, from cheap to expensive, and basically saw and measured no functional differences among them...

The Cable Game

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But my thinking was, "Digital bit-perfect *has* to be better."

Just think, what is doing the processing, and where? If you're using HDMI vs Component, there are different processors, deinterlacers, scalers, etc at work. Unless you know the specifics of your system and which _should_ be better, just pick the one that looks the best to you. (Personally I always do that, but some people are silly)

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 14
Well, considering digital coaxial cable for audio makes a difference (due to better signal transmission [voltage] and lower noise, not because it is alltering a digital bit), I'm sure a good HDMI cable would make a difference too. However, I don't suggest spending an arm and a leg on a digital cable. Just get a good one. I got my coax cable from Cobalt Cable. They also make a very nice HDMI cable, so perhaps you should check them out. They are an honest company that won't rip you off. Unlike most cable companies that have other facilities manufacture cables for them, these guys custom build your cable to order. I suggest everyone read their entire front page. They might learn a thing or two.

HDMI Cables, Audio Cables & Audio Patch Cables - Cobalt Cable

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just think, what is doing the processing, and where? If you're using HDMI vs Component, there are different processors, deinterlacers, scalers, etc at work. Unless you know the specifics of your system and which _should_ be better, just pick the one that looks the best to you. (Personally I always do that, but some people are silly)

I actually tested them side by side last night. My box let's me hook up both at the same time so it was just a matter of selecting the source on the TV.

HDMI is sharper, component a little softer, but on some things the softness actually helps (especially SD since extra sharpness only better reveals the artifacts of scaling). Another area where the softness helps is tonal scenes, like a blue sky. It created a smoother look vs. HDMI which better revealed the grain of the video signal.

Overall HDMI was a *little* better only due to sharpness, which I've always kind of liked in my images (for example, architecture and minimalist photography are my favorites...razor sharp lines
wink.gif
). Outside of sharpness there were no major differences in color or anything else.

And for those who think I might be crazy, my wife verified this without me telling her which source was which.

Still haven't done the same side-by-side test with my DVD player so I might do that as well.

--Illah

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

I actually tested them side by side last night. My box let's me hook up both at the same time so it was just a matter of selecting the source on the TV.

HDMI is sharper, component a little softer, but on some things the softness actually helps (especially SD since extra sharpness only better reveals the artifacts of scaling). Another area where the softness helps is tonal scenes, like a blue sky. It created a smoother look vs. HDMI which better revealed the grain of the video signal.

Overall HDMI was a *little* better only due to sharpness, which I've always kind of liked in my images (for example, architecture and minimalist photography are my favorites...razor sharp lines
wink.gif
). Outside of sharpness there were no major differences in color or anything else.

And for those who think I might be crazy, my wife verified this without me telling her which source was which.

Still haven't done the same side-by-side test with my DVD player so I might do that as well.

--Illah

So why don't you use component, and turn up the sharpness on your TV?

Dec 7, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

For the same reason I don't use cheap audio gear and compensate with EQ
wink.gif

--Illah

I don't get it.

You "want" the sharpness of HDMI, but won't turn up your sharpness on your TV!? It's not like turning up the sharpness on your TV is "artifical". I won't even ask if you've calibrated your TV...

Dec 7, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #12 of 14
Yes, it is calibrated. And regarding the cables, I have both, so what's the issue? Not sure what you're trying to 'get' me on regarding the whole sharpness thing.

How about I just use composite and turn sharpness up even more. Or I could just use 2 out of the 3 component cables and make up for the lost color with mad color settings
smily_headphones1.gif
It's just as good!

--Illah

Dec 7, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 14
Yea, I like HDMI for video games/computer monitor stuff, but I prefer component for movies/tv. So... xbox on the HDMI and dvd on the component! Makes it easy for me, as I only have one of each
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Yes, it is calibrated. And regarding the cables, I have both, so what's the issue? Not sure what you're trying to 'get' me on regarding the whole sharpness thing.

How about I just use composite and turn sharpness up even more. Or I could just use 2 out of the 3 component cables and make up for the lost color with mad color settings
smily_headphones1.gif
It's just as good!

--Illah

If all the HDMI does, is add more sharpness, why not benefit from the component cables, and gently turn up the sharpness a little bit. Then, you have best of both worlds.. no?

I'm not trying to get on you for anything.. you mentioned the only difference with HDMI, is it adds sharpness. So, why not use all the benefits of component, then turn your TV's sharpness up.

I have no idea what this has to do with using "cheap" audio equipment, and a EQ. It's not like you're artifically saturating your TV with something, like EQ does.. so I don't see the resemblance.

Are you using a CRT or one of the "newer" technologies?

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back