Does good seal mean good isolation?
Dec 4, 2008 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SilverB

Head-Fier
I'm not sure where to start but, does a good seal give a good noise isolation?
I realize the my W3's are giving less noise isolation compared to my Philips SHE9850 (I get perfect seal effortlessly with these).

I have to admit that I'm having fit problems with the W3's though. It seems that it is very difficult for me to get a good seal + comfortable listening.

Its more like either [good seal + uncomfortable] or [bad seal + comfortable]
So I really wonder, does a good seal yield a better noise isolation?

SilverB

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 7
No, good seal doesnt necessary meant good isolation.

Using foam-based tip provide better isolation IF u have good seal because foamies attenuate/absorb sound. It also causes high freq muffling. Silicons tip provide less isolation compared to foamies. Triflange provide the most isolation among all non-foamies tip.

To properly test seal, use the sensaphonic audio clip test.

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 7
A good seal will give you better isolation and more defined bass.

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 7
Yeah the foam tips are giving better isolation, but I can't accept the loss in high freq.

I'll be sure to read more about the sansaphonic audio clip test. I think I've been paranoid over not getting a good seal.

SilverB

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 7
A good seal won't necessary give you good isolation, there are still eartips material / design (foam, single flange, bi-flange, etc) and earpieces' design (size, closed vs. semi-closed) to considered for.

A good isolation, however, must rely on good seal.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the responses, guys
biggrin.gif

Is there a way to test out how much noise isolation each pair of the different ear tips provide?

Both the clear (default tips that W3's provide) and the silicone (grey) tips sound very similar in terms of sound signature. I'd like to find out which one gives better isolation.

SilverB

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #7 of 7
Put each eartips on one side of the IEM and put them in your ears, than start playing music out loud on your PC and you will know which one gives more isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back