Does ER P-S converter alter E5 and UM2 in the same way?
Jun 18, 2005 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

GhostWing

Head-Fier
I once heard E5s with their volume attenuater in order to get rid of hiss, noticed that SQ degraded by means of lossing detail. Then how about UM2's action under similar condition?

BTW, IMO, the P-S converter does not show substaintial difference with volume attenuater, doesn't it?

Please help me about this one last issue! thanks a lot!
confused.gif

'Cause I would be very happy if I could make a choice in this weekend.
icon10.gif

Jun 18, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 6
I've tried the UM2 with the Ety P/S converter, and while it does have some beneficial effects, it also introduces a coloration into the sound. Specifically: with the P/S converter and amped out of a Porta Corda Mk II, the UM2 has tighter bass, slightly better resolution, and a more neutral tonal balance... or it would be a more neutral tonal balance if not for a massive peak in the lower treble/upper midrange that the P/S converter introduces. At the same time, the upper treble remains fairly recessed. So, you have a bright(er) sounding canalphone with a forward lower treble but a recessed upper treble - a bad combination. Whatever other virtues the P/S converter gives the UM2's, they are offset by this problem.

Use them stock. Or maybe try a different strength resistor.

Jun 18, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 6
Thank you Catscratch!

From what you have talk about It's seemed that a resistor may do different influences on different type of canalphone? (let me think about the ER4P+P-S converter=ER4s)

"massive peak in the lower treble/upper midrange that the P/S converter introduces" does this mean it is more prone to sibilance?
confused.gif

Jun 18, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 6
I don't listen to music where sibilance is a problem, but... I would say yes.

The 75 Ohm resistor specifically seems to shift the emphasis to higher frequencies, making the sound colder. It also seems to bring out detail - slightly. I have a hunch that it simply shifts the peaks in the headphone's response curve to the right (i.e. to a higher frequency) while preserving the overall shape of the response curve. So if you had a hump in the midbass, it would now be in the midrange or lower treble - and so on. However, this is just a hunch.

I haven't experimented with resistors of other values. This could be a pretty interesting experiment, though.

Jun 18, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 6
No. It does not make any sense whatsoever to use the cable for any other phones. In fact, in general, adding resistance is *bad*, because you lose signal (and you turn up volume and add noise/distortion, among other things). If you want coloration, use an EQ. P-S cable works because it's the other way around, the P was made from S by "removing resistance" (sort of). For a detailed explanation, check my old posts here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117981

Users who are viewing this thread

Back