Does Double Amping work? I seem to hear a difference!
Feb 18, 2014 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Xtralglactic

100+ Head-Fier
I originally had a FIIO E11. I now have a C&C BH amp. I know the BH amp is more open, more clear etc. The FIIO E11 was darker sounding but had better bass. I though to myself what would happen if I used both of them at the same time. So from an Ipad i used a 3.5-3.5mm cable to connect to the FIIO E11, then used to FIIO's line out cable and put that into the input of the C&C BH amp. So essentally the FIIO E11 became a pre amp.I plug my HD 650/Fidelio X1 at the output of the C&C amp. I leave the volume pot of the E11 to 5 (halfway) and adjust the volume as suitable on the C&C amp.

I am amazed that now it seems that it has gained the bass definition of the E11 with the spaciousness and clarity of the C&C amp.

AM I hearing correctly or is it just a placebo effect? IS it jut the extra loudness im hearing that makes it sound better. Can you do this if you like one quality of an amp and combine them with another one to get better sound?

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 2
It's definitely not "better", objectively. If you double amp, all information from the first amp, including noise and distortion, will be multiplied by the second.

But if you subjectively like the sound, then who am I to argue that it's worse. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back