does diamond dave have a bad voice?
Jan 27, 2007 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

emericanchaos

100+ Head-Fier
or am i hearing things improperly? listening to "take your whiskey home" and eddie's guitar sounds completely natural while dave's voice sounds completely secondary
eek.gif
has a distorted tone to it. like he's singing through a guitar amp.
mad.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 6
Dave was a fantastic frontman. His vocal skill was, IMO outweighed by his stage presence. VH wasn't ever the same without Dave. I wouldn't say he has a bad voice, but like alot of hair band rock acts in the 80s/90s, I think it was more about fun and raw rocking out, than it was pure musical craftsmanship.
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dave was a fantastic frontman. His vocal skill was, IMO outweighed by his stage presence. VH wasn't ever the same without Dave. I wouldn't say he has a bad voice, but like alot of hair band rock acts in the 80s/90s, I think it was more about fun and raw rocking out, than it was pure musical craftsmanship.
wink.gif

aye. i was asking to see if there was a weakness in my setup. dave seems to have a nastiness about him while the rest of the music sounds natural and strong.

Jan 27, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 6
I just saw him solo last summer, virtually a VH tour with out the VH's.
blink.gif
His voice was top notch; I was pretty amazed. Still wonderin if he'll be with the brothers on this supposed world tour?

Jan 27, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 6
Hey, I'm following you dude. Just threw the song on my AKG 701's. In the opening chorus Dave voice exhibits a very slightly rhaspy sound. Very slight.

After the backing music kicks in, his voice smooths out perfectly.

Diamond Dave has one of the best voices in rock...IMO

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.

Dave

Jan 28, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musehead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just saw him solo last summer, virtually a VH tour with out the VH's.
blink.gif
His voice was top notch; I was pretty amazed. Still wonderin if he'll be with the brothers on this supposed world tour?

I saw him not so long ago opening for Bad Company. Dave looks like hell chewed him up and spit him back out... but he still rocks pretty hard.

That said, and I do like the guy, with or without VH... I don't see how anyone can consider his voice one of the best in rock?
blink.gif
I think thats reeeeally reaching. His personality might be one of the best in rock, I'd agree there, but not his voice. Also, singing aside, he's raspy when he speaks too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back