Does dbpoweramp really converts the song to 24bit?
Aug 31, 2013 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

chee006

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I just recently got deep and technical into the audiophile world, so i was ripping all my CDs last night with dbpoweramp program then I played around with the other features that came whit it which was a music converter and I noticed I could change the channel and the bit sample. 

I converted a song from Demon Day by Gorillaz into 24 bit and played it on foobar2k suddenly it showed not only did the it went from 16 bit to 24 bit but also an increase to a crazy 3200 bitrate from 1401.

So my question is did it really convert that song or did it just change the technical values without increasing the real quality of it?

thx

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 2
The bitrate obviously does increase after conversion to a higher resolution format. However, the 3200/1411 ratio does not seem to be right, unless you did something like converting the files to 96/24 FLAC format from 44.1/16 uncompressed PCM. In any case, converting a 16-bit file to 24-bit does not actually improve its quality, it just pads the samples with zero bits. It only makes sense to do that if you also want to process the file (volume control, EQ, etc.). Upsampling also does not add any new information to the file that is not redundant; you can use it to change the reconstruction filter, but I doubt you would hear a real difference. Or it could be used to work around a DAC that performs poorly at 44.1 kHz sample rate for whatever reason. But the player can perform this in real time, without having to modify the files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back