Does DAC warm-up require active audio playback?
Mar 6, 2016 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tyrannyoforder

New Head-Fier
Since reading the Audioquest report on the relationship between warm-up and jitter reduction, I'm curious how I can take advantage of this when using portable DACs.

Audioquest inform me that warm-up requires active audio throughput to be achieved. Is there a consensus on this?

Additionally, I'm informed that the benefits of warm-up, once achieved, can be retained merely by maintaining power to the DAC. At worst, it takes an hour of being deprived of power for the benefits to be lost.

This last being true, is there value in warming-up my portable DAC (currently a Fiio E17 Alpen, possibly later a Dragonfly) and then immediately plugging it into a live USB port on a mains power adapter (eg. a smartphone charger) to maintain the warm-up benefits (and obviously returning it there whenever it's not in use)?

My main playback devices are a laptop and a smartphone so keeping the DACs plugged in at all time would be impractical.

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 5
Why are you worried about this on a portable system that is less than ideal to start with? No disrespect intended, but jitter seems to be the new hype.

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 5
Jitter is usually hype but if you don't have a great source and clock in your DAC it could possibly be a problem in lower level gears. I wouldn't worry about it, you're going to hear more changes from your brain adapting to your headphones than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back