Does custom in-ears help with itching?
Feb 17, 2018 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

syke

100+ Head-Fier
I can't use silicone tips on any of my in-ears. It makes my ears itch real bad, resulting in scabs and fluids constantly being discharged. I don't know if it is specifically due to silicone, but just from memory they all turn out that way.

Only comply tips work for me without any symptoms. I could use them for hours and not feel any itch or discomfort. Problem with comply, is they do colorize sound to a certain extend.

I am quite hesitant with customs; getting the right fit, non existent resale value, etc. But do they resolve the itching problem? Anyone with likewise issues that have found customs to be the end all solution.

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 4
Sounds like you're allergic to silicone. No issues actually handling the silicone tips? The inner ears are especially sensitive areas. Customs (acrylic, not silicone ones obviously) may be the way to go. Unfortunately, I can't think of any non-silicone tips besides Comply/memory foam clones.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 4
I went customs back in early 2000s and never looked back. It might take a few fittings to get a perfect fit the first time or it might not. The best way to ensure is get the best impressions you can and get a reliable company that has been making customs fora while that is good at it. Get nice deep open mouth impressions. If you are located in the us it is best to use us based company for your first pair just in case you do need refits. You always have a fit warranty so this is not an issue.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 4
Silicone is a very unusual substance to cause allergic type reactions... it's one of the main replacements for latex for that reason. That said, I'm sure there are tons of other materials used in its manufacture. Have you tried washing your silicone tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back