Does custom ear tips improve sound quality of shures E500?
Mar 16, 2007 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

APAC CON

New Head-Fier
Hi there

honestly speaking i wouldnt consider myself an audiphile but a decent music lover that likes quality sound.
Here is my situation. I got this nice E500, which are strikingly good compared to everything that i ever head in that category. I hooked them up to a Tekstor Vibez (12GB) and usually go for hi bit rate MP3 (356) or flac files. But i still want to improve the quality output of the sound (despite i have some problems with the standard tips ceiling). So in order to improve the sound would it be advisable to get custom made ear tips for the e500 or doesnt that make a big difference? I mean just for better fit i wouldnt spend $160 on custom molds. So do ypou guys have any recommendation on that on what would be the grade of improvement. Or assuming i hook up a micro amp, would that make a bigger difference?

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 5
I've read on many occasions where custom eartips help improve sound quality by "opening up" a little more, and they also may fit more snug.

Typically speaking, connecting an amp would make a bigger difference if your dap has a line-out feature.

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 5
I went for the Westone UM56 tips for my E500s. I took the chance to see if they were as good (and as comfortable) as the foam tips which I prefer to use.
I now use the custom tips all the time. As for sound? Well I rate them as being equal to the foam tips. So unless you wish to spend the money trying them out just stick with the foams.
I went for the custom tip to hopefully cut down on the expense of replacing tips when they got dirty (washing seemed to reduce the ability of the foam to expand fully).
Now that Shure have introduced the washable foams it might help but it still is expensive to get replacements....

Mar 16, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 5
If you are already getting a good seal with another set of tips, a custom mold isn't likely to improve the sound significantly.

However, if you do have trouble getting a good seal, you should definitely see an improvement with custom tips.

Have you tried the new Shure black foamies?

Mar 16, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 5
The medium black foamies make mine fit like customs.. after about 10 min they just melt away and I forget they are even in there. Excellent seal and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back