Does Crossfeed Shrink Soundstage
Sep 14, 2008 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

BigEat

500+ Head-Fier
Does Crossfeed artificially reduce the perception of a greater soundstage?

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 19
In my opinion, yes it does.

If you take classical music that has been recorded using two microphones spaced away from each other with a small divider between them, you can get a very accurate soundstage. Not quite binaural, but very god.

These types of recordings already have crossfeed, that is, some sound from the right side is being picked up by the left microphone, and vise versa.

Using crossfeed in this situation makes the music even more mono, so it actually shrinks the stage.

When using crossfeed in older rock music though, works wonders. When the drums or guitar are in one channel only, crossfeed is almost a necessity for me to listen to it. It's too fatiguing to listen to otherwise.

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 19
I agree. With some sacrifices. I'm finding it depends on the amp; some do better than others without it.

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 19
Well generally any, but most noticeably Headroom's.

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 19
YES

Today i tried a Binaural DSP in Foobar which basically maximises the Crossfeed.

i noticed my HD555 sounded like closed headphones...i disabled it..

Crossfeed reduces the soundstage on open headphones.

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 19
I use a software crossfeed (Canz 3d) and it usually increases sound stage. Since it's in software, I can control it so it's very subtle. Crossfeed happens naturally while listening to speakers so I don't think it's a bad thing.

It also adds in the dynamic room reflections in a very subtle way. I was thinking of posting a few clips to ask what others think. I may do that soon.

For some recordings, it's a must. It reduces the extreme L/C/R sound blobs in older jazz.

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 19
like they said, it depends on the recording. You can't just say all open headphones get reduced soundstage from xfeed.

*referring to nocturnal's post

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 19
I used to own a HeadRoom Micro Amp. That was the only HR amp that I've ever owned. I did enjoy the crossfeed with some headphones such as DT-880 but not HD 650. I heard a boost in upper bass I guess it was that helped the 880 but hurt the 650.

I agree with what has been posted already. I currently use a Meier Corda Cross-1 with my system. I only use it when needed and almost never for classical. With 50's and 60's "oldies" it is needed 80%+ of the time. Even with music that I can enjoy without crossfeed, it can allow extended listening sessions for me.

I had a Xin SuperMini IV and the crossfeed sounded like mono, even after Xin did a check-up on it.

I found the crossfeed on my Meier Porta Corda to be very good, much like the Corda Cross-1.

-- I almost forgot about RockBox crossfeed which I like if the parameters are set at minimal values to create the least available effect.

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 19
I have the Static Headroom and to me it does not reduce soundstage.
confused.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 19
I'd have to agree with what most people have said on the crossfeed. It's horse for courses and it definitely has it's uses.

The only possible exception is the implimentation of crossfeed and speaker placement that the Phonitor uses. It's pretty clever and subtle in all the right ways...

Sep 14, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #12 of 19
Not the crossfeed on the phonitor. It actually opens the soundstage up making it sound more transparent and airy. If you listen to it a bit and then switch it off, the soundstage sounds very closed in even with open headphones.

However no other implementation comes close to it, i heard (and disliked) pretty much everything be it hard or software.

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #13 of 19
I think that crossfeed is only necessary for sub-par recordings. Well recorded music simply does not need it.

However, there is one album that I have where it is absolutely necessary. There is a strange imbalance that I can't quite put a finger on. It's a combination of a volume imbalance with extreme separation of instrument sections. It's very fatiguing and unlistenable with headphones. Though with crossfeed on, it's cured.

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #14 of 19
Any old Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, it is sweet to have.

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #15 of 19
I tried Crossfeed again with minimum settings... again it messes with the Soundstage...it diminishes.

The instruments on the Right sounded dull ..but when turned OFF..i noticed sudden Expanse in Soundstage.

All on Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back