Does connecting a balanced cable to a non balanced one (say 2.5mmTRRS to 3.5mm TRS) damage the amp?
Aug 8, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 6
The pin out is wrong unless it is a adapter made to do it .

Aug 8, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 6
Yes, you will cause a short and damage something. Do not connect a balanced cable to a single ended device, or vice versa.

A stereo TRS connector is wired as Tip=left, Ring=right, Sleeve=ground
Typically, balanced TRRS is wired as Tip=R+, Ring1=R-, Ring2=L+, Sleeve=L-.
If you try to combine them, you'll end up with Tip=R+, Ring=R-, Sleeve=L+/L- (shorted). This is a shorted circuit and will damage amp, headphones, or both.

Aug 9, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 6
I understand that - my question was not clear. I am asking about adapters. If I have a 4.4mm TRRRS connector on my 'phones, and I connect them to a 4.4mm to 3.5mm TRS adapter, then plug the 3.5mm to the player, is this a problem? I really asking if these adapters are safe.

Aug 9, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 6
I understand that - my question was not clear. I am asking about adapters. If I have a 4.4mm TRRRS connector on my 'phones, and I connect them to a 4.4mm to 3.5mm TRS adapter, then plug the 3.5mm to the player, is this a problem? I really asking if these adapters are safe.

If the amp you're connecting to is single-ended (non-balanced), then no - that's the purpose of the balanced-to-not-balanced adapter.

Where you run into trouble with balanced/non-balanced adapters is if you connect a single-ended headphone through an adapter to a balanced amp. The single-ended wiring on the headphone will short the left and right channel negative outputs of the balanced amp.

Aug 9, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 6
OK if you are going from a balanced headphone cable to a single ended connector from a adapter you are just fine. You just can’t go the other way from a single ended headphone cable to a balanced amp then you will have problems bit of you have a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back