Does classical music CD buying club exist?
May 30, 2003 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Gergor

1000+ Head-Fier
Just ordered some CDs again, probably the last batch of this month. I bought over 10 CDs this month. Suddenly I realized that I buy on average 5-10 CDs each month, most of them classical music. I buy from various sources. However, I wonder if there's such a thing as a classical CD buying club, sort of like columbia house of classical music, so I can consolidate my CD shopping to one place for a good price?

May 30, 2003 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 18
BMG club has small but decent classical selection for beginner to build up basic library, as usual you must "work" the system to get bargains.

BMG Mahler

Cheapest place to buy new classical is yahoo music, use advanced classical search and buy through alldirect.com

May 30, 2003 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by supreme600
Columbia House has a classical music section

Columbia house's selection is nothing but a joke. BMG does carry a few interesting current release. I'm not familiar with Musical Heritage Society, but it seems to be the closest to what I'm looking for. I'll check it out. Thank you!

May 30, 2003 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 18
Buy the latest edition of the Penguin Guide to Compact Disc: The Guide to Excellence in Recorded Classical Music-

Study by composer then look for used bargains on Half.com, Amazon, etc.

This way, you get the good stuff instead of settling for what's available through a club.

May 30, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Buy the latest edition of the Penguin Guide to Compact Disc: The Guide to Excellence in Recorded Classical Music-

Study by composer then look for used bargains on Half.com, Amazon, etc.

This way, you get the good stuff instead of settling for what's available through a club.

My shopping decision has been driven by choice only. I have been buying from various stores. I am just exploring the option since I'm buying so many CDs regularly.

May 30, 2003 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
Just ordered some CDs again, probably the last batch of this month. I bought over 10 CDs this month. Suddenly I realized that I buy on average 5-10 CDs each month, most of them classical music. I buy from various sources. However, I wonder if there's such a thing as a classical CD buying club, sort of like columbia house of classical music, so I can consolidate my CD shopping to one place for a good price?

Naxos isn't a club, but you probably can't get a better price/quality ratio anywhere else! At $7 a CD or less brand new, and thousands of high quality recordings to choose from, it's a no brainer for me.

One strange side note: unlike other labels, Naxos is actually *cheaper* in retail stores like Virgin than on-line outfits like Amazon.com for some reason. I can get Naxos CDs from Virgin Megastore for $6.98, but they are $7.98 at amazon.com

--Chris

(50-some Naxos albums and counting...)

May 31, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Cap'n Dan
www.hbdirect.com is a classical club, it seems

It's a great site to browse and buy classical music, but I wouldn't really consider it a "club" a la BMG or Columbia House.

You do have to pay an annual fee (a whopping $12) to save the 10-15% off each disc's list price. The real benefit accrues when H&B offers its members a special discount on...say...a particular label. They usually do this at least monthly; sometimes it can be as much as 40% (and no annoying cut-out holes in the jewel case).

I look at the $12/year as per-paying H&B's postage expense for all of the flyers they routinely send out via snail-mail. And it's likely H&B uses it to dissuade people who couldn't care less from getting on its mailing list.

A Club? Not a Club? Who knows, but one thing is certain: it's a great site for collectors.

(Thinking: Hmmm...If I shill enough for H&B, maybe they'll waive my fee next year...)
rolleyes.gif

Jun 1, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Odi_et_Amo
I look at the $12/year as per-paying H&B's postage expense for all of the flyers they routinely send out via snail-mail. And it's likely H&B uses it to dissuade people who couldn't care less from getting on its mailing list.(Thinking: Hmmm...If I shill enough for H&B, maybe they'll waive my fee next year...)
rolleyes.gif

I was thinking about joining H&B a little while back, but here's my math:

On Naxos titles (my main purchase), I would save 10% by joining the club (about 70 cents a CD), but pay 50 cents shipping for a net savings of 20 cents. So to make my $12 membership worthwhile, I'd have to buy 60 Naxos titles from them per year. I buy a lot Naxos titles, but definitely not 60 a year.

Instead, I buy Naxos titles retail for the same price ($6.98), and save on shipping.

Please correct me if my math is wrong or there's something I'm missing.

--Chris

Jun 1, 2003 at 1:49 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Cheapest place to buy new classical is yahoo music, use advanced classical search and buy through alldirect.com

Hate to quote myself but it's true.........no need to check other prices from HB, Tower, Amazon etc

Compare these Bruckner/Naxos prices:
Bruckner complete symphony set - HB member $76, Alldirect $44
Bruckner Sym 9 - HB member $6.98, Alldirect $5.44

If you join club you can get your 12 free Cds, but for buying new classical CDs on a regular basis try Alldirect.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back