Does CD ripping s/w affect SQ?
Oct 19, 2007 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dkpaul

100+ Head-Fier
I ripped all my CDs to Apple lossless using iTunes.
I'm listening to Josh Groban and I hear noise or hiss here and there. It can't be the amp or cans since I only hear this kind of noise only for a few songs...

Does CD ripping s/w have any influence over SQ of lossless files? If so, what is the name of the best ripping s/w?

Oct 19, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 15
theres some distortion and data loss depending ont he quality of your CD drive and the error correction methods it uses, usualy its recommended that you use EAC to extract the data from the disk, its the most accurate ripper.

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 15
iTunes rips the tracks errors and all and doesn't tell you. Aevum is correct, Exact Audio Copy (EAC) gives you a log that tells you if there were errors, and is extremely accurate. it's only for Windows though. If you are on a Mac you could try Max.

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 15
It does not detect my drives.

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 15
I had the same problem when ripping with iTunes, especially to Lossless files. EAC remedied much of it, but I also have problems converting the WAVs to ALAC. Guess my computer's not powerful enough to be doing batch conversions, and surfing the web.

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkpaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm listening to Josh Groban....

Are you listening to his latest album, Awake? If so, it's not your hardware, it's not the software...it's the CD. I've tried every software I can think of and even listened direct to the CD and I hear no difference. Just a bad recording/pressing.

Oct 21, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks. I used EAC and I think there is a slight improvement.
Now. Why can't EAC import track title and artist information from the CD? I have been looking around to correct this, but still unsuccessful... can anyone give me a tip?

Oct 22, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Thanks. I used EAC and I think there is a slight improvement.
Now. Why can't EAC import track title and artist information from the CD? I have been looking around to correct this, but still unsuccessful... can anyone give me a tip?

Just press ALT + G to have it query freeDB...love EAC.

Oct 22, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #11 of 15
Thanks for the tip.
I ran into another problem. When I convert CD tracks into MP3 (lame encoder) with high bit rate (~500k), the tracks are converted at VBR (~190 average). I guess apple's lossless is not an option.
So, I'm tyring CD -> Flac -> apple lossless. Is there a one-step process?

Thanks again.

Oct 22, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Thanks for the tip.
I ran into another problem. When I convert CD tracks into MP3 (lame encoder) with high bit rate (~500k), the tracks are converted at VBR (~190 average). I guess apple's lossless is not an option.
So, I'm tyring CD -> Flac -> apple lossless. Is there a one-step process?

Thanks again.

Can you go over 320kbps with lame?

Why CD to Flac then to apple lossless? Why not CD to apple lossless directly using itunes/itunes encode with eac?

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #13 of 15
dbpoweramp reference may be a solution. I find it easier to set up and use than EAC. It costs $28, but that seems worthwhile to me.

I'm using it to rip CDs to FLAC using ultra-secure mode, which seems nearly as good as EAC (uses C2 error-checking, and checks against the accuraterip database or against multiple reads at different speeds). Sometimes dbpoweramp cannot rip a track error-free, and it tells me so; for those tracks I use EAC, then convert the WAV to FLAC using dbpoweramp.

I use the FLAC files as archives (and for desktop listening via foobar and kernel streaming), then convert to MP3 VBR for my ipod, and to AAC 128 for my wife's nano, all using dbpoweramp reference. I'm doing multiple steps, but I've read that you can set up a script to do it all at once.

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 15
There is a version that goes by the name of itunesencode that you can use with apps like eac or foobar.
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=35242

instructions for eac
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...9&#entry257899

foobar
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...dpost&p=357399

There may be more up to date files or ways but I haven't bothered with apple for ages so I'm not up to date.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back