Does/can an external EQ replace a bass boost on an amp?
Aug 5, 2017 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Danielbea122

100+ Head-Fier
Does/can an external EQ replace a bass boost on an amp?

I am buying JVC sz2000 HPs and i need a more powerful amp so with my EQ do I need an amp with bass boost is my question?

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 7
You don't need an amp with bass boost. You'll have much more control by using a parametric equalizer program.

Many (including myself) shared their EQ settings and other recommendations in the SZ2000 thread.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 7
Short answer: probably.

Longer answer: generally bass boost features (or "bass controls" as part of the tone control section on older gear) push up a relatively broad band in the bass or sub-bass range (like 40-80Hz range), which will give "more bass" to the listening experience. You can achieve a similar thing with an EQ, but you may need to push up multiple bands (and probably not in a uniform matter - pick a center frequency and bring the "sides" up proportionally less) to achieve a similar result.

An example of such a bass feature with specific #s we can pick on the Outlaw RR2160 (which is still in production and has nice documentation), the bass control offers +/- 10 dB at 50Hz. To contrast to a stand-alone EQ, like an old Kenwood that I have in storage, you'd have +/- 12 dB with center frequencies at 32, 63, and 125 Hz, so playing with those three settings you could get a similar effect to dialing up the bass knob on the Outlaw.

You could "stack" both of these - dragging up the EQ points *and* turning up the bass knob/bass boost, but eventually you will run the signal too hot and run into clipping (it can only expand so big), and that will lead to nasty distortion (its very audible). However depending on what the EQ/bass boost functionality does, it actually may still be desirable to use both at once, although not "maxing" everything out - for example if the bass boost feature is tied into a dynamic expander or a "loudness" control or something like that, maybe you like that sound but still want to push bass up to compensate for room response or what-have-you (yes this is a more speaker-oriented example but you get the general principle), as long as you aren't getting too crazy with controls it shouldn't be a problem.

Aug 6, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 7
Short answer: probably.

Longer answer: generally bass boost features (or "bass controls" as part of the tone control section on older gear) push up a relatively broad band in the bass or sub-bass range (like 40-80Hz range), which will give "more bass" to the listening experience. You can achieve a similar thing with an EQ, but you may need to push up multiple bands (and probably not in a uniform matter - pick a center frequency and bring the "sides" up proportionally less) to achieve a similar result.

An example of such a bass feature with specific #s we can pick on the Outlaw RR2160 (which is still in production and has nice documentation), the bass control offers +/- 10 dB at 50Hz. To contrast to a stand-alone EQ, like an old Kenwood that I have in storage, you'd have +/- 12 dB with center frequencies at 32, 63, and 125 Hz, so playing with those three settings you could get a similar effect to dialing up the bass knob on the Outlaw.

You could "stack" both of these - dragging up the EQ points *and* turning up the bass knob/bass boost, but eventually you will run the signal too hot and run into clipping (it can only expand so big), and that will lead to nasty distortion (its very audible). However depending on what the EQ/bass boost functionality does, it actually may still be desirable to use both at once, although not "maxing" everything out - for example if the bass boost feature is tied into a dynamic expander or a "loudness" control or something like that, maybe you like that sound but still want to push bass up to compensate for room response or what-have-you (yes this is a more speaker-oriented example but you get the general principle), as long as you aren't getting too crazy with controls it shouldn't be a problem.

Ty so much for the detailed response i think i got it now.

I think I will purchase a magni 2 amp and use my EQ to control the sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back