Does being a Mod make a difference?
Feb 3, 2005 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 168

bootman

King o'Ping
Since there is no "outside" lets keep this civil.
But I am curious, especially to those relatively new to the community,
if reading a mod's comments holds more "weight" in your opinion.

I voted no, but I'm afraid that is not the reality here.
IMO, mods do have this influence here and can sway the public's
opinion (good or bad) more so than a member who is not a mod.

What do you think?

Feb 3, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 168
No. not here and not anywhere else...on some forums (where I moderate) the mods get their asses handed to them
tongue.gif
They are just there to keep the peace while a bunch of MIT, IIT, Stanford, CMU graduates make plasma spheres out of liquid gases and large amounts of electricity
rolleyes.gif

Feb 3, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
No. not here and not anywhere else...on some forums (where I moderate) the mods get their asses handed to them
tongue.gif
They are just there to keep the peace while a bunch of MIT, IIT, Stanford, CMU graduates make plasma spheres out of liquid gases and large amounts of electricity
rolleyes.gif

Here is the problem.
If we only let the mods just moderate, a lot of good info, reviews, etc would not get done.
Not only are they mods, but they are usually the most active and productive members.

Feb 3, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 168
good thing Jude lets them post as members first then. mods are just people, like you and me, we're a happy family!

Feb 3, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 168
In honestly, I see anyone with the mod title as a form of authority. Can't help it. If I'm talking to one I restrain my insanity more than a reg. member. But I do know they are real people who come to this site to chat, just like the rest of us. Same with manufacturers. I think they have a right to say what we say, even in anger. I've never really seen a mod stoop the level of of some of the regular members (in arguments), which in that right makes them more respectable. I've noticed incredibly rude and obscene comments thrown at them, and they still try their best to keep their cool. But if one of them does say something inappropiate, the regular members have a right to call them as well, but only as if they were another reg. member. Sadly there are times when mods are singled-out since they hold a title. People need to realize that we're all human here.

I've been accosted by mods many a time for my antics, and I understand they're just trying to keep the peace. =)

Feb 3, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 168
I don't think that mods [general] posts are any more 'correct' than anyone elses here... we're ALL members here all sharing in Jude's hospitality of hosting this site...

The only difference is that we [the mods] get to tidy up at the end of the day, thats all. and the even better part of that is that you guys are generally pretty damned tidy with your posts anyway
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
I knew it..... I knew it.... Edwood, Guru and Jahn are secret mods....
icon10.gif

Amicalement

P.S. Voted no since I'm no longer a new member....
wink.gif

active, yes. productive, no.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 3, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #11 of 168
Quote:

You mean mods are real people? I thought they were bots that are part of the forum.

Nope, just me man.You didn't think i was real did you ?

Quote:

The only difference is that we [the mods] get to tidy up at the end of the day, thats all. and the even better part of that is that you guys are generally pretty damned tidy with your posts anyway

Sweeper bot,yup !

all the work and none of the glory
tongue.gif

Feb 3, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 168
I'll have to vote no.
In fact a couple of those mod's opinions actually mean less than most other peoples on some issues. Hey, mods are people too. Every one of them has an area of expertise and areas where they don't know squat. Except for that one mod that goes up up and away, he knows everything about everything, and I always look up to him for advice on all aspects of my life.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Feb 3, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 168
I'm just back after a 30 day ban (reduced to 10 days) so you'd expect me to be pissed off and say "Mods comments hold no weight" thing is, I don't think that way and I think the majority of the mods here are very clued up on all things Hi-Fi........ do they know it all? "NO" but some of them know most of it and others know nothing.......... there's a lot of variables to contend with when it comes to "mods" but, in general, I think the head-fi "mods" know their onions.............

I've never been "swayed" by a mod's opinion.......... use your own ears and the music will follow.

Pinkie.

Feb 3, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #15 of 168
Welcome back, Pinkie. I thought things were strangely quiet around here.
tongue.gif

Missed you.

Looks to me as if the mods are more often lightning rods than molders of public opinion.

BW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back