Does balanced amp require a balanced dac?
Apr 18, 2019 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41
Hi all i just gotten into the drop for the thx 789 from massdrop and its a balanced amp. I heard you need to use a balanced dac to pair it with a balanced amp for it to work due to their difference in circuitry? I have no idea how it works any help or opinions would help a lost soul in the audioworld out thanks!

Apr 18, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 41
It looks like Massdrop will ship out the THX789 on August 30th 2019, in four and a half months, did you know that?

You might try posting this question on the Massdrop THX789 discussion group.

I'm not the expert, but I can't see why you can't use an un-balanced DAC with the THX 789, while using a "balanced" headphone.
But i'm just not the expert on balanced headphone use.

I just ordered my first balanced DAC/amp (DX7s) from Massdrop (will ship out in a month).

Apr 18, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 41
It looks like Massdrop will ship out the THX789 on August 30th 2019, in four and a half months, did you know that?

You might try posting this question on the Massdrop THX789 discussion group.

I'm not the expert, but I can't see why you can't use an un-balanced DAC with the THX 789, while using a "balanced" headphone.
But i'm just not the expert on balanced headphone use.

I just ordered my first balanced DAC/amp (DX7s) from Massdrop (will ship out in a month).
Yeah saw that it will ship in Aug but wanted to see what all the hype was about. Was about to get a Questyle CMA400i already haha or an audio god nfb28.

Apr 18, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 41
Hi all i just gotten into the drop for the thx 789 from massdrop and its a balanced amp. I heard you need to use a balanced dac to pair it with a balanced amp for it to work due to their difference in circuitry? I have no idea how it works any help or opinions would help a lost soul in the audioworld out thanks!
You don’t have to have one as it has rca connections as well as xlr. I myself don’t hear much of a difference between using one or the other as input to one of my balanced amps but some say they do but it isn’t necessary to use balanced for that amp as it has single ended connectors as well.

Apr 19, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 41
You don’t have to have one as it has rca connections as well as xlr. I myself don’t hear much of a difference between using one or the other as input to one of my balanced amps but some say they do but it isn’t necessary to use balanced for that amp as it has single ended connectors as well.
Thats what i was wondering as some people claim to hear the full improvr in sound i would need a balanced dac but that would mean additional cost and balanced dac isnt very commin haha.

Apr 19, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 41
It depends on how the internal wiring goes. The THX 789 isn't a fully native balanced amp, unlike the Monoprice Liquid Platinum. So I’m not sure how much it will ultimately make a difference to the amp. But there might be differences in the sound coming from your DAC's SE versus balanced output, like there is with mine, which will affect the overall sound that you hear,

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 41
It depends on how the internal wiring goes. The THX 789 isn't a fully native balanced amp, unlike the Monoprice Liquid Platinum. So I’m not sure how much it will ultimately make a difference to the amp. But there might be differences in the sound coming from your DAC's SE versus balanced output, like there is with mine, which will affect the overall sound that you hear,
Wait a sec.... i thought that the thx789 is a fully balanced dac inside no? Whoops if thats the case i might just drop the buy and just get a questyle cma400i

Apr 19, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 41
I use this to convert RCA line-out from my unbalanced DAC to balanced XLR:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7P7366

It made a big difference with my balanced Musical Fidelity amp. Also inexpensive and worth a try to see if your amp can benefit from a balanced signal.
Oh wow thats something i have never seen before. But i thought eg my dac is se when it goes se out it cant be converted to balanced due to the difference in circuitvso would the conversion actually matter? Didnt take no physics haha

Apr 19, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 41
Oh wow thats something i have never seen before. But i thought eg my dac is se when it goes se out it cant be converted to balanced due to the difference in circuitvso would the conversion actually matter? Didnt take no physics haha

The MC3 is passive (no power needed) so AFAIK, the converted signal won't be any stronger; as it might be from a true balanced DAC. But some balanced amps like mine can detect whether their XLR inputs are getting hot and cold signals. Previously, I was using the RCA inputs and letting the amp provide balanced out to headphones but the power was limited. Using the converter provides hot and cold signals on both channels (plus ground; instead of just ground and left/right) so my amp no longer has an excuse to limit itself.

If your amp isn't truly balanced on the inside it may make no difference but the converter was a more preferable option for me rather than spending $500-$1000+ for a new DAC just for balanced output. I do have a balanced capable DAC (Roland UA-M10) but prefer my single-ended Soekris R2R. Now I can leave everything SE (including a Schitt Loki equalizer and, sometimes, an iFi iTube buffer) until I get to the amp and insert the MC3 for balanced. Also, whenever I look at potential new DACs, I no longer worry whether they're balanced or not.

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #11 of 41
Wait a sec.... i thought that the thx789 is a fully balanced dac inside no? Whoops if thats the case i might just drop the buy and just get a questyle cma400i

It doesn't seem like the quality is taking a hit between balanced and SE inputs though. The outputs are a bit different, specifically with the crosstalk, but according to MD the SE and balanced inputs are essentially indistinguishable. From what I've read, this is pretty common for many amps; single-ended inputs are not markedly worse than balanced XLR.

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #12 of 41
The MC3 is passive (no power needed) so AFAIK, the converted signal won't be any stronger; as it might be from a true balanced DAC. But some balanced amps like mine can detect whether their XLR inputs are getting hot and cold signals. Previously, I was using the RCA inputs and letting the amp provide balanced out to headphones but the power was limited. Using the converter provides hot and cold signals on both channels (plus ground; instead of just ground and left/right) so my amp no longer has an excuse to limit itself.

If your amp isn't truly balanced on the inside it may make no difference but the converter was a more preferable option for me rather than spending $500-$1000+ for a new DAC just for balanced output. I do have a balanced capable DAC (Roland UA-M10) but prefer my single-ended Soekris R2R. Now I can leave everything SE (including a Schitt Loki equalizer and, sometimes, an iFi iTube buffer) until I get to the amp and insert the MC3 for balanced. Also, whenever I look at potential new DACs, I no longer worry whether they're balanced or not.
I see thats new and definitely cheaper than finding balanced dacs

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 41
It doesn't seem like the quality is taking a hit between balanced and SE inputs though. The outputs are a bit different, specifically with the crosstalk, but according to MD the SE and balanced inputs are essentially indistinguishable. From what I've read, this is pretty common for many amps; single-ended inputs are not markedly worse than balanced XLR.
Oh since theres no differencr i guess i cam keep this and just change dacs accordingly if i wanted to haha.

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 41
Oh since theres no differencr i guess i cam keep this and just change dacs accordingly if i wanted to haha.

Exactly!

My 2 cents: I'd say it's more about the specific pairing and not about balanced versus single-ended technology, because ultimately, that question relies more on the specific implementation. The 789 is supposed to be a very neutral, uncolored amp, so given your current headphones, and this amp's characteristics, you'll probably want a DAC that plays nicely with that gear. At least if you don't have to worry about balanced or SE, you have so many affordable DACs to choose from.

For example, my current amp is warmer than the 789, so by the time the 789 arrives, I should have already sold my current headphone for a warmer one. DACs are much the same way, but I love my DAC as-is and upgrading to something better but warmer is not as easy as swapping out cans. At least, that's how I'm approaching it. If the 789 with the warmer cans (and my DAC) is still too bright, I'll look to sell the amp for something else.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 41
the massdrop THX AAA 789 is not fully balanced. it has balanced in and out connectors but its single ended internally in the signal path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back