Does Apple Lossless Skip on 4g Ipod?
Oct 29, 2004 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 10
The 4G still skips, but not nearly as much as the 3G did.

I did a full restore on the iPod before using AL, just to have a fresh start, and it seemed to make a difference, might be worth a try.
I've switched to AAC at 320kbps now anyway, for the improved battery life more than anything.

Oct 29, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the info....

The fact that it still skips bugs me. I can't believe that they didn't fix that in the new generation. It also kind of bugs me when I see people recommending AL for 'audiophile' portable use when it's so unreliable.

Oct 29, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 10
What the.. how can they release something that expensive that skips? My Rio's played 15 minute FLAC files gaplessly, flawlessly.

Cheap plug.
icon10.gif

How does ALAC compare to FLAC?

Oct 29, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 10
320 distortion.... If it is the weird under-water effect you are refering to, it's just on mp3 320 not AAC. I, however, have never noticed it in any of my MP3z which happen to be 320.

Is there another distortion you are referring to? I find AAC 320 sounds really good, and am very happy with it.

Oct 30, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Futhermucker
Just wondering if that annoying AL skip/pause bug is in the 4th generation ipod? I have a 3g 20gb and it is pretty annoying. Prevents me from really using it as much as I like.....

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76044
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75534

I think there is a misconception about skipping... usually when i think "skipping" there are multiple "skips" within the song.

When this defect happened to me, the song i wanted would stop, and play the next song.

Whenever this happens, i reformat my player, and all is good. Recopying 20gb of music does take a little time though!

Oct 30, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 10
Yes.

I've had mine for less than 24 hours and noticed this. Though, I thought it was due to my source files. I had some lossless WMAs, which itunes converted. I thought that was the cause. I am disapointed to learn it was not
frown.gif

Oct 31, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 10
If there was some solution to the problem I would be considerably happier. Re-formatting the player does not help the skipping, for my 3g 20gb. Also, the problem takes 2 forms.

1. Pause about 5-10 sec. into the song.
2. Complete skip to the next song.

Oh well.. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back