Does Apache drive Edition7/Edition9/GS1000 well?
Sep 12, 2007 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ruanjiyang

New Head-Fier
Dear all:

Any body can answer me?

Does Apache drive Edition7/Edition9/GS1000 well?

I have Edition 7 and GS1000 and plan to order one "The Apache" to drive them.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 28
I can’t answer your question directly, but I own the RSA B-52, which I use to drive Edition 9s and Sony R10s. IMO, the B-52 drives the ED9s to within an inch of their lives. The drive and power are stunning, though the combo also possesses an amazing amount of delicacy and resolution. Synergy is a crucial element when mating cans and amps, but Ultrasones and RSA products seem to go together pretty well—at least in my experience. I would expect the Apache to mate nicely with your Ultrasones, too. You might also want to consider Rudistor amps; they’re supposed to be a match made in heaven with Ultrasones. Don't know about the GS1000s, as I'm not a huge Grado fan. Whatever you decide, good luck.
cool.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 28
The Grado GS1000 sounds awesome from my B52...can't tell anything about the Apache, but I guess they should sound good too.

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 28
I have a Apache and have driven HD600s both single-ended and balanced by swapping the cable on the Sennheisers. I do not need to go past 12 o'clock on volume with the amp in medium-gain mode - it is very loud.

As HD600s are high impedence cans considered difficult to drive well, the Apache should have more than enough gain for the phones you listed.

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 28
I've listened to Ray's Apache driving a variety of phones with great ease and beauty, including the K1000 -- which is the most demanding dynamic phone I know of (though the uber-pricey Zanden is my favorite K1000 amp). The Apache is breathtaking with the Sony R10 and Grado PS1 -- neither of which I was terribly enamored of before hearing them through the Apache (actually the B52 also exacts great performance from the PS1). The Apache certainly drives the GS1000 with ease, but I'm not a fan of these phones.

Of course none of this speaks to whether or not the Apache has great synergy with the Ultrasone Editions, and it remains for someone who has actually heard these pairings to post impressions that are meaningful, based on direct experience.

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #6 of 28
I spent a fair amount of thime with the Edition 9 (as well as a number of other high end HP) and the Apache, as well as the B-52 at the NorCal meet. The Apache had no problem driving the Edition 9, so it will be fine with the Edition 7 as well. I listened mainly balanced, but I think I also hooked them up single-ended as well.

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've listened to Ray's Apache driving a variety of phones with great ease and beauty, including the K1000 -- which is the most demanding dynamic phone I know of (though the uber-pricey Zanden is my favorite K1000 amp). The Apache is breathtaking with the Sony R10 and Grado PS1 -- neither of which I was terribly enamored of before hearing them through the Apache (actually the B52 also exacts great performance from the PS1). The Apache certainly drives the GS1000 with ease, but I'm not a fan of these phones.

Of course none of this speaks to whether or not the Apache has great synergy with the Ultrasone Editions, and it remains for someone who has actually heard these pairings to post impressions that are meaningful, based on direct experience.

Hi Romanee,

May I ask which gain were you using to drive the K-1000? I assume the R10 and PS-1 are using the low gain? Thanks!!

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by zelo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Romanee,

May I ask which gain were you using to drive the K-1000? I assume the R10 and PS-1 are using the low gain? Thanks!!

Oops. Can't say. As I said, it was Ray's amp and bevy of fine phones, and he did the setups -- I just enjoyed listening. Of course if Ray happens to read this he can provide information, as can an Apache/K1000 owner.

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #10 of 28
My Apache is on the way out and this thread is QUITE old
smily_headphones1.gif

Having said that, I did want to post some information here for anyone who does search for the Apache regarding these headphones.

The Apache drives the UE9 and the GS1000 with aplomb. There is no problem with power and drive.

The UE9s have an amazing bass presence that will grab you and give you that rhythmic drive and finesse that the Ultrasones seem to strive for. Once I cozy up with the Ultrasone, I really don't feel like taking it off...in fact you feel that there really isn't anything to "take off" as it seems like its just you and the music. The headphones disappear. Bottomline, the UE9 sound signature really shines through the Apache and leaves you spellbound.

Now the Grado GS1000. These sound nice, but there's quite a few things missing. I really feel a GS1000 owner should make sure they have the new National Semiconductor chip (Started in Rays 3rd batch of Apaches) because the LT1028 (2nd batch) opamp doesn't really control the searing highs of the GS1000. Frankly, I would like to see some tubes in the signal path that is served through the GS1000, but that is just a personal preference. If the GS1000 is your ONLY set of dynamic cans, I'd suggest to skip the Apache unless there are tubes somewhere in the signal IMHO.

The Apache is revealing and ruthless in the wrong setup. Give it a good source and it will rock your world!

I know there have been comments about what a $3000 amp should have or not have in terms of circuitry, but to me personally, that does not matter. The sound, the emotional response, the presentation and the appeal to my inner musical soul is what I cherish over all else. The Apache really is a sonic piece of heaven and I will definitely miss it in my setup. Thank for an amazing solid state journey Mr. Ray Samuels.

~G

Mar 16, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UE9s have an amazing bass presence that will grab you and give you that rhythmic drive and finesse that the Ultrasones seem to strive for. Once I cozy up with the Ultrasone, I really don't feel like taking it off...in fact you feel that there really isn't anything to "take off" as it seems like its just you and the music. The headphones disappear. Bottomline, the UE9 sound signature really shines through the Apache and leaves you spellbound.

That's the "mesmerizing" or "hypnotic" effect slwiser and I talk about experiencing when we listen to our Edition 9...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 28
Well I will be glad when I finally get mine but I guess this is off track from the original post. :^)

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 28
Tubes or not, the Apache is just an amazing sounding amplifier and I absolutely loved it. If it weren't for my need of a tube preamp for my speaker rig, I would never have sold it.

Anyhow, I think I'm now at the end of the dynamic headphone amp upgrade path...bomber incoming
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back