Does Anyone Worry When Listening With Headphones?
Jan 31, 2007 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

zotjen

Headphoneus Supremus
Although I use open cans at home and try not to play them too loud, every once in a while I will miss a phone call while listening. Does anyone ever worry that while listening, they might miss an emergency phone call from a relative or a neighbor might come knocking on your door to let you know the building is on fire, etc.?

Being single and living alone, every so often I get a little paranoid that something will happen that would otherwise require my immediate attention and I won't know what's going on because I'm listening to my headphones. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way?

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I use open cans at home and try not to play them too loud, every once in a while I will miss a phone call while listening. Does anyone ever worry that while listening, they might miss an emergency phone call from a relative or a neighbor might come knocking on your door to let you know the building is on fire, etc.?

Being single and living alone, every so often I get a little paranoid that something will happen that would otherwise require my immediate attention and I won't know what's going on because I'm listening to my headphones. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way?

well, i actually have missed a few phone calls that way, but that doesn't make me paranoid. what makes me paranoid is having the DT770 really isolate you, and suddenly an unexpected passage in the music comes up that makes it sound like it's coming from behind you. you freak out and turn around, and no...one's...there...
eek.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 49
I use IEMs exclusive here in halls, but don't have any worries. I have my phone on vibrate so I'll know if it goes off and the fire alarm in every flat is damn loud - you can hear it from outside 500 meters away. Plus I'll see the flashing alarm on the ceiling
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 49
What worries me constantly is if I'm listening to the music too loud and damaging my hearing. I'm constantly turning it down, then up again because I can't enjoy the music. :/

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 49
My phone flashes when it rings, and I generally keep it on my lap when listening to 'phones, so no missed calls . . . so far.
cool.gif

I generally don't like being interrupted when listening, so blocking out all external sound isn't neccesary a bad thing for me. After all, ignorance is bliss!
eggosmile.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, i actually have missed a few phone calls that way, but that doesn't make me paranoid. what makes me paranoid is having the DT770 really isolate you, and suddenly an unexpected passage in the music comes up that makes it sound like it's coming from behind you. you freak out and turn around, and no...one's...there...
eek.gif

Haha, I can't count the number of times I've heard noises coming from behind me through my equipment, even when they were really crappy

Jan 31, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 49
Hmmm I was just thinking about this too. There are a few times that I do get somewhat paranoid when my headphones blocks off all background noise. It just makes me feel like I don't know what's going on around me.

Jan 31, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 49
No. I like it. Even when I'm not listening to music, I frequently don't answer the phone (I don't have an answering machine) or the door when I'm home. A very few people have my cell phone number, and that I'll keep on vibrate for emergencies, though I often don't answer that either. I'm not anti-people, I regularly go out, even just strolling around my neighborhood, and I like to have people over...but...as a daily thing, once home from work, I value quiet (people-wise, that is) and privacy. Headphones help and also offer the perfect excuse to nosy, bored, but kind neighbors, who like to stop by for an unscheduled chat: I'm sorry, I didn't hear the door.

Jan 31, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What worries me constantly is if I'm listening to the music too loud and damaging my hearing. I'm constantly turning it down, then up again because I can't enjoy the music. :/

hehe yeah that's what worrries me , with all the hearing problems u can get from prolonged listening i'm afraid i'll be deaf soon , or have tinnitus or something ;p

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 49
My home phones are open, the DT880s that is. The way I look at it is if I miss a phone call, oh well, they can leave a message and I'll call them back. In fact, many cases I prefer that I just get a message.

Since my phones are open, though, I don't miss many calls which is OK too.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 49
If you're worrying about that, you're probably worrying about a lot of things. IMO, you're either a worry wart, or you're not. I happen tnot worry about much, 'cause of my belief the fact that I'm not really in control. I put my trust in the Man upstairs - takes away a lot of stress. He won't let you die in a fire 'cause you're listening to music on your headphones!
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find myself doing the very same thing with the volume. Knowing that I can damage my hearing without even being aware that it is happening WHEN it is happening! To me this is much more of a "worry" factor when listening to headphones than whether or not I miss a phone call.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're worrying about that, you're probably worrying about a lot of things. IMO, you're either a worry wart, or you're not. I happen tnot worry about much, 'cause of my belief the fact that I'm not really in control. I put my trust in the Man upstairs - takes away a lot of stress. He won't let you die in a fire 'cause you're listening to music on your headphones!
biggrin.gif

I wanted to answer in a light hearted way to this post, but I realized any way I did, I'd be opening up a religious discussion which is not allowed on Head-fi...so I won't.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back