Does anyone use a AV receiver for amplification
Dec 14, 2010 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rocky2

New Head-Fier
 i had an headphone amplifier..But recently i bought a Harman kardon AVR 130 receiver..It has headphobe jack and i connected my 8$ Sony RK g129 to my computr and the reciever...What a great sound!! i bought it for 75$ used. I am using it like a desktop amp, but it works fine. Dt990 and hd205 works great..
      Does anyone use a reciver for headphone amplification? I think it is a steal for 75..but Is there any disadvantage is using a set up like this?

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 6
I use my semi-vintage (1994) Sony receiver with my Grado SR80i and Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones. Sounds pretty good to me 
gs1000.gif
 Home theater receivers are pretty powerful and can even drive some AKG cans (from what I've heard).

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 6
Currently using a technics sa-ex310 surround receiver to power my k240s.  Definitely works and allows me to power my headphones and speakers from one device.  Eventually I'll go with an amp just out of curiosity.

Dec 15, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 6
I hope to use my incoming HE-6 out of the speaker posts on my HK 3390 this weekend if all goes well. Good choice on the Harman Kardon btw, they generally shame the likes of Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha from MY EXPERIENCE. They have truly crystal clear, overpowering amplification with less distortion, at a fraction of the price of the others generally speaking. Plus, the lowball their numbers more than anybody besides NAD. I had the k340 a couple of years ago that SPANKED the pants of my roommates $1200 Denon in terms of power, clarity, and NO distorion even at deafening levels. The HK cost me $300 or $400 lol, I can't remember. It was rated at 55 WPC versus my roommates 110-125 WPC (can't remember exactly)!

Lol that sounded pretty biased and ranting lol...just count me as one who is truly impressed with HK performance, as I have heard many other heavy hitters in the same class over the years.

-Daniel

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 6
Using an Onlkyo SR805 with AKG 702's and it has NO problem driving these to painful sound levels...
I also use the analog outputs of a upgraded Oppo BD83SE (Sabre ESS Dacs) to a AVA Insight+ Preamp and use the preamps phone section t drive the AKG 702's. No power issues, Bass is tight and awesome.

I dont do any pc music to ext dac and amp.

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back