Does anyone primarily use a turntable in there headphone rig??
Apr 1, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #16 of 18
Yes, I have had many problems. If your buying ANYTHING online I've found its best to risk sounding anal and specifiy PRECIESLY how you want the item packaged.

Then again, the claim money I was awarded on my last mishap exceeded the value of the cartless table I was supposed to get--resulted in the money for a VPI Scout...

hmm, on second thought, if you've got the patience for the claim, just let 'em insure it and see what happens
wink.gif

Analog turns into a much bigger financial commitment then many assume: what is yuor actual budget? I see $250 kicked around a bit. Unless your going to use it for non-critical speaker listening I probably wouldn't go with a table/arm/cart/phonostage option in that price range for the headphone rig. This is, of course, a blanket statement and does not account for 'super-duper, one time, fell of the truck, deals'.

There are some really descent digital sources at/around that price that might make for a better listening expereince.

Apr 2, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #17 of 18
My VPI Aries Scout gets about equal playtime alongside my RME. When I'm working on the PC (which is often) the convenience of 2000+ CDs at my fingertips is simply amazing. However, when I want to relax with my fiance after a long day nothing can top relaxing to an old record while some tubes warm the room and create a sensual atmosphere. Sharing headphones is a very intimate experience, IMO (a good tip for you fellas out there: tubes+vinyl = a pleasant evening).
smily_headphones1.gif
My Jupiter 2000 gets little play because it is simply outclassed (and "out-convenienced") by the RME. However, when I just want to listen to some tunes while running around the house a good CDP is indispensable. She's actually listening to Kind of Blue on the Scout as I type this. I better attend to business...
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #18 of 18
coming to this thread late but...

yes ,i use my turntable a lot with headphones

a recent (within the last year or so) change over to classic and / or vintage equipment has brought me to the AR XA which i have extensively modifeied and restored to better than original condition-exept for the "AR" brass tags front wood base and acrylic top , something i will get on
rolleyes.gif

i use it with a Grado Red and a DIY JFET phono stage ,due to be replaced with a tube phono stage soon (my second "new" fetish)

Most important is low noise in the phone stage with headphones

due to the close proximity to the ear any noise will not be masked by the ambient noise usually heard in a normal room speaker/room interaction

but get it right and with the right headphones and amp.....

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back