Does anyone own the Pro-Ject Headbox Ds2 B
Jan 25, 2019 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

swagadelic

100+ Head-Fier
and can give some thoughts about it ? :)

im really on the fence on buying it, simply because its so expensive (for me).
but it sounds absolutely stunning from a good source with balanced connection all the way.
since its a fully balanced headphone amp you can also use it with balanced headphones which is amazing should you ever want to go that route/down that rabbit hole.

anyway small introduction about the box aside, looking for some owners :)

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/head-box-ds2-b/

May 30, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 10
and can give some thoughts about it ? :)

im really on the fence on buying it, simply because its so expensive (for me).
but it sounds absolutely stunning from a good source with balanced connection all the way.
since its a fully balanced headphone amp you can also use it with balanced headphones which is amazing should you ever want to go that route/down that rabbit hole.

anyway small introduction about the box aside, looking for some owners :)

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/head-box-ds2-b/

Hi, I know your post is old but I wanted to know your impressions if you bought the DS2. I'm really curious about the fact that I only found one review of it on google (https://www.audioappraisal.com/pro-ject-headbox-ds2-b-headphone-amplifier-review/), and that pretty much nonobody talks about it. It's almost sold out on every website in France, but with zero user review, which is strange.

After reading the review though, I ordered it (with the possibility to return it, obviously) and I absolutely love it ! It's a good upgrade over the headphone amp section of my Gustard A20H dac.
It's detailed, musical, the bass and the highs are great. As for the mids, they are the thing I like most, almost tube-like. I enjoy the music so much more than before, the voices sound so good. I'm using it with Final Sonorous VI headphones.

Since my dac is balanced and the Project Headbox is too, I ordered Atlas XLR interconnect cables to try the fully-balanced config, I hope it'll be worth it.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 10
Nice man!! No i havent raised the capital yet, but its coming :) Or - i might decide on scrapping the k712 (which are extremely amp-scalable/unreliable) to something else.
all i really need is a good sub monitoring flat open headphone.
and the only real comparison is the hd650 - which ive heard, and the k712 can be EQd to near identical results while still being more subby anyway i digress.

i didnt buy it yet, and happy you enjoy it. How did that fully balanced setup work out? I imagine it made your cans really sing!!

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 10
IMG_0497.JPG
Hello, I've been listening music with this amp for more than 6 months already, and I like it VERY MUCH.
The source is TEAC NT-503, mostly Hi-Res files, I use balanced XLR connections. The headphones are the ATH-AD2000X - I converted them into balanced ones (pretty simple, there are 4 cores in the stock cable).
This rig sounds fantastic, I love every moment when I switch it on. The sound is very "analogue", but not like "distorted tubey" one. I can listen for many hours with no fatigue.
There is a very nice option - changing current. For "low impedance" headphones it makes difference.
The only drawback I found with the amp is the cheap noisy power supply. I ended up with buying a Pro-Ject AccuBox S2. The difference is huge. But one can get a Chinese linear power supply on eBay: three times cheaper. It will definitely be better than the stock "smartphone charger"-like one.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 10
Yeah I agree with you about the noisy power supply. I did not test the AccuBox S2, but I bought an iFi DC iPurifier 2 and it cleaned the sound a lot. I wonder if using the AccuBox S2 and using it with the iPurifier 2 would be even better.

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 10
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back