Does anyone "outside" really understand?
Oct 19, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #16 of 45
as much as maybe $300 for headphones (though I have trouble going over $200) and $500 per bookshelf/$1000 per floorstander is 'explainable'. They may not -quite- get it, but they will assume that more expensive=better and leave it at that.

too much above those figures and they'll just think you are a nutter.

Oct 19, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
but you don't *have to* go insane for a good system.

..but it helps!
cool.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #18 of 45
Scarred Taka,
Did they try to talk you out of those speakers and receiver and stuff too? Or is it just the headphones that they don't understand?

But yeah, people outside don't understand. I was burning in (still don't know if it's real, but we try anything.
biggrin.gif
) a pair of Grados when a neighbour came around. So I turned of the CD player to avoid question like "why are your headphones playing without you listening to them?"
How was I going to answer? "Oh these are my new $200 headphones and I'm burning them in." Right, don't really feel the need to become the neighbourhood freak.
icon10.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #19 of 45
Heh, my mountain bike cost $2600. Not a lot really, I got my moneys worth I think?

It seems some 'hobbies' are accepted more. Does someonne get castigated for buying a Ferrari?

Oct 19, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Heh, my mountain bike cost $2600. Not a lot really, I got my moneys worth I think?

It seems some 'hobbies' are accepted more. Does someonne get castigated for buying a Ferrari?

no, but they might get cast-i-rated by their wife if they aren't careful
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #21 of 45
I don't think the question is not just "Does the outside 'get" it?" but "how many head-fi'ers out there don't know about head-fi yet?"

There was someone at work who was a friend of a friend, so I started talking with her after I let my buddy listen to my ipod/SM1/HF-1 combo. I offered to let her listen to it. Well... about 45 minutes later I got it back. Then I sent her here, told her about the HF-1's and the SR-60's... and now she's wanting an iPod and Grado's.

There are many people who get it... though most don't. Then again, many of them don't have their hearing any more, think Bose speakers rock, and that 3000$ is a lot to spend for a top of the line HT system, but do it anyways. Just imagine a 7.1 Legacy audio system with 7 Whispers around you, driven by 8 seperate amps and a DVD player that costs more than their car.

Sometimes I think I'm crazy though... my portable setup at work is around the cost of some PS-1's. ... I think i'm crazy.

Off to have orpheus dreams before work...

**BRENT**

Oct 20, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by MexicanDragon
Just imagine a 7.1 Legacy audio system with 7 Whispers around you, driven by 8 seperate amps and a DVD player that costs more than their car.

To be a momentary naysayer: it still won't make the crappy movies they make these days any good.

To add to my previous figures: $1800 max for 5 channel sound, $1k max for a sub, no more than $1k on receiver and dvd player.

Thats still dropping 3.8k, minus interconnects and monitor - way the hell more than is necessary.

I love music. I love movies. I care about good sound. Spend $50 on a db meter, test media, and another few hundred on eq to fix your room, and save yourself the trouble.

Seriously, someone needs to start Team EQ: don't throw money/headphones at a problem EQ can fix.

Oct 20, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk
Seriously, someone needs to start Team EQ: don't throw money/headphones at a problem EQ can fix.

I think one of the problems is that a relatively small percentage of people seem to be skillful at using EQ.

I mean, EQing a room for speakers is surely a much more difficult task than EQing up headphones, yet I have no clue how to properly EQ even headphones and any EQing I do would probably consist of copying someone else's settings.

Edit: Oh, with the db meter, I'm just guessing, but is the practice to play test tones of different frequencies, measure their dB, and EQ stuff down until all the test tones are playing at the same dB?

Oct 20, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #24 of 45
Quote :
Did they try to talk you out of those speakers and receiver and stuff too? Or is it just the headphones that they don't understand?

Yes, they did. And that was only $45 dollars total! 30 for the reciever, $15 for one pair of speakers, and the other two pairs were donated to me.

I think it's one of the greatest "scores" I've ever had.

Ahhh well, as I am seeing it...

Beyerdynamic DT 880 Headphones- $250 Dollars

Xin Supermacro V5- $350 Dollars

Great Sound- Priceless
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #26 of 45
Oct 20, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #28 of 45
Try talking XXX into letting you drop hundreds and usually thousands on a single camera lens. Thankfully, there are only a small finite number of lenses possible (~50 in all for Canon or Nikon unless you factor in 3rd party) unlike headphones and amps where there are hundreds. One hobby's manageable, but once you get into several, it can get dangerous to say the least.
eek.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
With the amount of money people put into making their cars not be able to exit driveways and go over speed bumps ...
eggosmile.gif

Got a chuckle out of that one!
280smile.gif

And let's not forget that people spend that much on a couple of months' worth of bills to their cable company-- For way too many channels full of infomercials & garbage that no one wants to watch anyway!
confused.gif

And all the money people pay the cell phone companies for extra minutes to jabber about God-knows-what... Your cans sound like a great deal to me.

Oct 20, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
But a Ferrari has an actual return value (that is, getting chicks) whereas audio is more of a self-pleasuring hobby.

lol I don't know if you intended it or not, but I found it funny
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back