Does anyone out there Own a [DELL STUDIO (32 BIT) LAPTOP-1737]? USB TO Toslink?Advice
May 28, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #18 of 20
Good Day Prog Rock Man...

Job Done no more messing..Followed your advcie went ro Firestone Europe site and purchased the DAC& PS
Must thank you so very much for all the help & advice..very much appreciated;

With regards to the USB cable? folk have suggested (generally) the BELKIN USB?
Quite a step down from the One I originally was pursuaded to buy! IE- LOCUS~DESIGN POLESTAR USB-4 feet (£170)+Shipping...
 As against (£187) For the Firestone Order in total inc, Shipping (price is without Dutch VAT which non EU do not pay)
Although there will be 35% on top for Norwegian import fees!

I should have gone down this route from the start..and saved a lot of hassle,stress and COST!

anyway lets hope this all works

all the best for now Cheers Steve

May 28, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #19 of 20
It comes with a USB cable. I hope you have not spent any money on such as blind testing and my own experience with USB cables finds they make no difference........

If you have, try your own blind test and get someone to switch USBs about so you cannot know which is which. Spending a similar amount on the cable as the DAC and PSU is excessive IMHO. 

May 28, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #20 of 20
Hi There
Great to hear from you again.
No you will be pleased to hear I have spent no money on USB cables! after the disaster with the LOCUS DESIGN POLESTAR  will never even contemplate spending that kind of money again..
I was only thinking of maybe the BELKIN GOLD USB as folk felt it was a qulity product and for a few pounds..could have being worth a go?

But it is not critical.....

I will say I have learnt the hard way that AUDIO is in big part a world of Hype!from purely my own experience (oops!controversy).
Great if others beleive a £200 USB cable gives them sonic heaven>>>and mine was the cheapest in the LOCUS range!!

I did many comparison tests..and not only I but others to..could not tell any difference from a chepo USB against the Very expensive...
all subjective I know...but I for one will not get caught again...

Someone on one of the forums..said Audio Folk new that there wasa lot of hype &Flavour of the months e.t.c. but that Audio was no different to lots of other consumer products???

Speaking personally I have found the audio industry are possibly the best at it?

all the best Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back