Does anyone out there Own a [DELL STUDIO (32 BIT) LAPTOP-1737]? USB TO Toslink?Advice
May 26, 2010 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

norskman

100+ Head-Fier
Hi
I am hoping someone out there maybe able to advice....

I think I am getting bogged down [again] over best way to connect my laptop to outboard DAC?
It appears my studio does not have a TOSLINK PORT?

is there a big difference between USB & TOSLINK (as I am told and read)?

Hope I hear from someone

all the best Steve

May 26, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 20
The average TOSLINK implementation is better than the average USB implementation.  That said, it always differs, device to device.

You can feel pretty safe with USB as a starting setup.

May 26, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 20
Hi Hybrys..
Really good to hear from you...
at the moment I am looking at the well priced Super-Pro 24bit DAC

Reason: I spent a silly amount of money recently..on HRT MUSICSTRWEAMER II+ & LITTLE DOT MKVI SE & CUSTOM CABLES including the LOCUS DESIGN POLESTAR..+ BEYER 990 DT Phones+
Have just sold the lot..(at a big loss) it was not suited to my moderate set up..it is a very long tale..but very dissapointed!

anyway I decided to start again..with a more moderate set up (as I should have done from the outset)

This is my current line up:-

DELL STUDIO (32BIT)
AUDIOENGINE A5S
RCA Y CUSTOM LOCUS CABLES

am presently using Behringer 212 as my Audio interface,,this as you will know is USB.Nothing wrong with it..I just feel things would improive a bit with a DAC
so any additonal advcie very much appreciated...I am getting the feeling folk just prfer the TOSLINK? over USB

so if this is possible I would like to give it a go..just need to know how to do it

all the best Steve

May 26, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 20
There are lots of things you can do.  You can get a USB --> SPDIF converter, and add a TOSLINK DAC onto it.  Or just buy a decent quality USB DAC.  A uDAC might do you well.  Inexpensive, efficient, and highly rated/reviewed.

May 26, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 20
USB gets a bit of bad press, but very little actual evidence to back that up. I have used USB with Dell and Sony to Musical Fidelity and Firestone USB DACs without any issues and superb sound quality.

May 27, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 20
Good Morning Hybrys & Prog Rock Man
Good to hear from you you both
smily_headphones1.gif

I really do appreciate the feedback and the advice...Both    the UDAC & THE KING REX have always being in my thinking as I have both read so much about them..and had them suggested as good options...(USB)

Please can I ask you both & others....I understand that King Rex along with most DACs work better with seperate liniar PS? is this correct and if so,which Power supplies should I look at..not wishing to spend to much....

How would this option compare to the USB--->SPDIF-Convertor Option? I suspect better..but do not really know
so any further help,tips ,suggestions very much appreciated

all the very best & many thanks Steve 

May 27, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:
Good Morning Hybrys & Prog Rock Man
Good to hear from you you both
smily_headphones1.gif

I really do appreciate the feedback and the advice...Both    the UDAC & THE KING REX have always being in my thinking as I have both read so much about them..and had them suggested as good options...(USB)

Please can I ask you both & others....I understand that King Rex along with most DACs work better with seperate liniar PS? is this correct and if so,which Power supplies should I look at..not wishing to spend to much....

How would this option compare to the USB--->SPDIF-Convertor Option? I suspect better..but do not really know
so any further help,tips ,suggestions very much appreciated

all the very best & many thanks Steve 

You're correct in that understanding.  External DACs with power supplies, while less portable, definitely have an upgrade path.  I'm not too familiar with power supplies, but any linear power supply should offer atleast a bit of a performance increase.

If you're just starting on your system, I'd suggest you keep things simple with a USB connection.  If you want to have a solid upgrade path, I'd suggest one of the Audio-GD units.  From buying one of their basic models, you can upgrade it's opamps, change from USB to SPDIF after you have money to invest in a USB --> SPDIF converter, and even upgrade the internal modules.  Look into it.

May 27, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #8 of 20
Hi Again
Once again many thanks for your assistance,much obliged to you.
Funny coincidence,but I was looking closely at the Audio-GD Units,the other day,they sound ideal.But the USB model FUN still costs more than I can affordand to be honest I do not wish to source from China yet again (nothing wrong at all with little dot) just wish to obtain closer to home this time..
If I had not lost so much on my botched first attempt! then I could have maybe looked at Audio-GD..but will have to look elsewhere and cheaper...

To be honest..and while I fully understand & appreciate the logic there are good reasons I do not wish to be looking ahaead to upgrade paths e.t.c. what I buy now will have to do..prefer not to go in to why?

USB --> SPDIF converter? how much would one cost...
Or looking at king rex Dac + PS+ Cable...or similar..although I think the king rex may take me above my budget?

all the best Steve

May 27, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 20
The only ones that I know of that are rated are the M-Audio Transit at about £50 and the M2tech Hiface at about £100. They can be had for less, just google USB to Spdif. 

I have The Supplier PSU for my Fubar USB DAC and it added more dynamics and soundstage, making it a worthwhile upgrade at under £100 (then). 

May 27, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #10 of 20
Hi Prog Rock man....
Really good to hear from you again...and I really appreciate your advcie..so much so...I am thinking of the FUBAR SET UP DAC & PS?
unless we can come up with a similar alternative...Say the KING REX DAC & PS?..But I am sort of thinking I would love to obtain USED condition if at all possible? may try an ADVERT?

I really do not relish the idea od payiong out more for connections from my PC to an adaptor e.t.c. e.t.c.
I don`t really know but as you said earlier you are more than happy with USB...so hopefully it will sit well in my set up also...

Just one point I do not have a single MP3 File..all my files are FLAC & Vinyl Rips..high bit rates and very good...

so any additional advice most welcome

all the very best Steve

May 27, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #11 of 20
I got my Fubar and Supplier second hand, not that you would have known it they were in such good condition. Bear in mind the Fubar is USB only with only one connection. But that is all I need for my setup.

I have no experience of the other DAC you mention, but I see they are more expensive, particularly the PSU. It seems odd paying more for the PSU than the DAC, especially since it has apparently got its own upgraded power supply. http://www.kingrex.co.uk/dac.html

The European site for Firestone Audio has the two for £200 which would be just about 2000 kroner using a currency converter (best check that yourself). I got mine for £120, which was a good price. 

You should have a hunt through ebay and try a wanted to buy here as well. 

PS - both are 16 bit DACs.

May 27, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 20
Hello Again..
Good to hear from you..
since my last message I have now put a general wanted request for either your FUBAR set up or the KING REX but I would be happy to get the FUBAR
I only have USB and as I said I do not wish to get bogged down (again) with this optical and that adaptor e.t.c.

simple approach this time around...I hope...

Please can I ask a dum question? as I mentioned..I have only Flac and Vinyl Rips at up to 5000 KBPS...will the USB DACS do this justice? or does it make no difference to the recording file quality  weather it be-->OPTICAL or COAXIAL  or USB e.t.c.do not fully understand how quality of the Music file works?

If the answer is no real difference then I will most certainly go for the USB FUBAR?
Once again I thank you for your help

all the very best Steve

May 27, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #13 of 20
Hi Steve, the actual file type is not affected by the DAC or the type of cable. The higher the kbps the better the sound and a DAC has no limit AFAIK. Your are obviously going to put quality in, so you can expect quality out. My itunes lossless rips vary from 400 to 1100kbps, the streamed music is 320kbps and I struggle to tell the difference. 5000kbps, wow!

May 27, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #14 of 20
Hi again
Many thanks for your super fast reply..

and I was sure pleased to see your positive comments re the quality issue...
I am so proud of my music collection...and blown away even with my set up as it is now..with the very high bit rate Music files! they sound amazing...the average I suppose must be around 1100 KBPS....

I think unless I am deflected i will go for the FUBAR weather second hand ,like yourself or new...from Russ Andrews....
trouble is I have to pay 35% import VAT as Norway not in the EU..10% of that are the collection fees..
no matter I have a good feeling about this....

have just received a pair of Podium speaker stands from UK for the A5s hoping that will help to.

Please keep the advcie coming

all the best Steve

May 27, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #15 of 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back