does anyone on this board fix portable cd players?
May 6, 2003 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fyrfytrhoges

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a sony d-es51 portable sports cd player that I love and just don't want to give up. something is wrong with it and sony charges like 75.00 just to have it sent in to look at. any suggestions other than throwing it away and buying a new one? the major problem in getting service on this thing is that it is no longer manufactured and no one wants to touch it. help!

May 6, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 9
Ok... I'll call the surgeons if you can give us a run-down of the problem
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 9
what I would describe as the "ribbon" that goes from the underside of the player to the underside of the top of the player seemed to get caught when closing the cover. since then it does not work at all, what is that ribbon, and could that be the problem for the player completely shutting down?

May 6, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 9
That ribbon highly likely contains all of the operational 'inputs' for the player... is the ribbon torn / creased? or has it just come loose from the main PCB?

Duncan

May 6, 2003 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 9
All may not be lost... does ANYTHING at all work when you reconnect the ribbon?

May 6, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 9
oh dear... doesn't sound good... I guess you could, if that player really means so much to you ~ re-track the ribbon connector... its got what, 10 ~ 12 contacts running down it? - Its doable... i've done it myself... and i'm by no means a master of all things solder
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back