Does anyone make in ear that is actually comfortable enough to wear for more than 5min?
Dec 29, 2013 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PudgyPat

New Head-Fier
I have been trying and failing to find a in ear set that I can wear for more than 5min. The gummy style will not stay in at all for me. The ones that actually insert into the canal cause my ears to physically hurt in no time. And they still work out with just moderate movement.

I would really like to find some that have really good retention without being a huge pain. Sound quality and noise reduction are not an issue for me with these. I just want some that I can actually wear out to the gym and things. I wear glasses, so the ones that clip behind the ear are hard to use.

Over ear designs would be better, but I want the tininess factor. Is there hope? Expensive custom tips is not an option for me, very unfortunately.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 5
Could you possibly name some of the in ears that you've tried that have failed you?

My ears are quite a pain for in ears as theyre uber tiny (But i love in ears), and ive definitely found some good fitting iems, maybe we just happen to try all the different iems.

Any particular price range you're looking at?

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 5
I have tried the cheap JVC "gummies" and they would not stay in. Several different brands of this type really. None of which suited me.

I am currently wearing some Koss that fit inside the ear canal and they still don't stay in very well and they give me an ear ache in no time.

The type that goes around the back of the head and kind of sits in the ear have worked the best for me. I cant remember the brand. They finally gave up a few months ago.

The kind that fits into the canal and also has a clip that goes behind the ear don't stay in either. And I still had the ear ache with them even trying all the varying size rubber things.

My friend had some Bose IE2 or something to that effect. They didn't hurt so bad but still didn't want to stay in.

All of these have had the round rubber "plugs" or the plastic type that holds with friction. The Bose are the only ones that had a funny shape to them. Like I said, the Bose felt OK but still didn't want to stay in.

I could go up to $100 if I had to. But, sound quality is not a factor with these. I don't want to pay a higher price just because they sound a bit better. All I want is something that will stay in and not hurt. I have seen some that look more like ear plugs you might wear to a shooting range or something. That may work. I don't have problems with that kind of plug.

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 5
First, make sure that you are using the right size tips. If they are falling out the tips are probably too small for your ears. You can also get Comply foam tips that can be used with your existing in-ears, although they're a bit annoying to use (you need to squish them and then wait for them to expand in your ears) and even the largest ones were too small for my ears. The most comfortable universal IEMs I've tried were the JVC FX31, but you will need to use the treble reducer EQ to make them sound normal.

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 5
Have you tried sennheiser cx series? I am very much pleased with my cx 400 II and cx 550.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back