Does anyone make CD/SACD players with FM Tuners?
Jun 9, 2008 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TJ Max

500+ Head-Fier
Does anyone make CD/SACD players with FM Tuners? I'm looking for a system I can attach to my receiver.

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone make CD/SACD players with FM Tuners? I'm looking for a system I can attach to my receiver.

unlikely. the question is why would you need an fm tuner in the disc player if you are going to attach it to a reciever?

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unlikely. the question is why would you need an fm tuner in the disc player if you are going to attach it to a reciever?

Because the receiver does not have a built in FM Tuner, I also don't have space and enough wall outlets for many seprate components. So an All-In-One would be more practical for me.

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 11
What's your budget? I know there are several CD players w/ FM tuners on the market by some consumer-grade mass-market vendors like Onkyo, but those are cheap and probably not audiophile-quality for CDs. If you want audiophile-quality sound from CD, these would be better (more expensive) options:

Arcam Solo / Solo Mini
Music Hall Trio
NAD C715

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 11
Ah so then it's an Integrated Amplifier and not a Receiver
biggrin.gif

How much do you want to spend? there are a few decent Hi-Fi products like this around

Arcam - Solo Product range

I can't see it on their site but Shanling's new system has SACD playback I think. It's similar to this but solid state and more powerful

ÖйúÉîÛÚ É½Áéµç×ÓÓÐÏÞ¹«Ë¾ ²úÆ·½éÉÜ

Jun 9, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Because the receiver does not have a built in FM Tuner, I also don't have space and enough wall outlets for many seprate components. So an All-In-One would be more practical for me.

If a high quality all-in-one system is what you are looking for, I think you might be interested in the April Music Aura.(April Music)

All you need to do is sell your amplifier after installing this.

Cheers.

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 11
None of the systems you guys mention have SACD playback.
I just want something to connect to the 6-channel inputs on my Logitech Z-5500.

Um, so far I'm thinking about getting a Onkyo CS-720s.
It has SACD and DVD-A, with an FM and I think an XM tuner. Its the closets I could find.

Jun 10, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 11
To be brutally honest I don't think those Logitech computer speakers (as opposed to Receiver) will be able to reveal the difference between CD and higher resolution digital anyway but the Onkyo you mentioned should work a treat with surround sound discs if that's your bag.

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be brutally honest I don't think those Logitech computer speakers (as opposed to Receiver) will be able to reveal the difference between CD and higher resolution digital anyway but the Onkyo you mentioned should work a treat with surround sound discs if that's your bag.

Well I wonder that too, but I was told that they handle themselve pretty well with high end recordings, though not the highest of coarse. They can receive and ouput 96Khz 24-bit sound so I guess SACD should show some difference on them. Every review will tell you that the Z-5500 are highend for 5.1 PC speakers.
In addition I'm placing them in a very small 9x12 room, so larger speakers are'nt practical.

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Every review will tell you that the Z-5500 are highend for 5.1 PC speakers.
In addition I'm placing them in a very small 9x12 room, so larger speakers are'nt practical.

I'm sure they are as they're pretty expensive for computer speakers and should easily fill a room that size as you say. The best computer speakers I have ever heard are the Mission NXT flat panels which are also available in 5.1configurations and have the added benefit of being suitable for wall mounting which is convenient if space is at a premium. They have something of the quality of Quad Electrostatics. You may also want to check out these if you havn't already bought the Logitechs.

For music as opposed to films though unless you are really into surround sound discs then I think stereo speakers are still a more realistic listen, as the mastering of surround sound discs is often compromised by having to be processed from original stereo recordings.

In which case you might also consider compact active nearfield studio monitors. Genelec would be the benchmark but cheaper ones from Yamaha and JBL can also be very good. A pro-audio shop would be the place to listen to these. Subs are also available for many of these but in a room the size you mention would be largely unnecessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back