Does anyone make a SACD PCDP?
Mar 19, 2006 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ILuvSony

100+ Head-Fier
[size=x-large]I have a SONY (go figure...) SACD 5 disc changer and own several SACDs. Does someone know if anyone (preferably SONY) makes a SACD PCDP?
biggrin.gif

*By the way what does YGPM mean?
confused.gif

Thank you![/size]
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 8
YGPM = You Got Private Message
Basically, one person is telling another that he sent him a private message.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by davei
No form of portable SACD exists. Short of toting around a 12V car battery and an inverter, you're out of luck.

Yup, as I understand it, all the SACD chips are designed around mains powered chassis. In fact, every indication is that high-end PCDP development is dead and has been dead for several years. Maybe after the iPod/MP3 craze/fad has run its course and sound quality comes back to the fore.

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Yup, as I understand it, all the SACD chips are designed around mains powered chassis. In fact, every indication is that high-end PCDP development is dead and has been dead for several years. Maybe after the iPod/MP3 craze/fad has run its course and sound quality comes back to the fore.

This does seem to be the case. But I am still very expectant for the top model year 2006 Sony PCDP's to come out. I'm curious what they will be like.

I too wait for the day when the iPod/MP3 craze/fad starts to wane. But it will probably be replaced with something even worse!

What if… what if the best portable audio machines have already been made? And old PCDP’s are the peak of human achievement in portable audio? Scary huh? In my sick cynical pessimism I can really get used to this horrible idea being, in fact, a truth of our times.

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tungsten
What if… what if the best portable audio machines have already been made? And old PCDP’s are the peak of human achievement in portable audio? Scary huh? In my sick cynical pessimism I can really get used to this horrible idea being, in fact, a truth of our times.

Well, unless you consider modded iPods and such, you're probably right. Convenience and battery life have clearly trumped sound quality, where portability is concerned.

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tungsten

Having spent most of my lifetime sucking hind tit as a result of "market forces", this would not be at all surprising. However, there are bright signs in portable audio. If you get into the size of laptop where you can specify a better optical drive and then employ foobar for CD playback through a new HeadRoom Total Bithead, you can enjoy a marked improvement in sound quality from the current flock of PCDPs. And being the victim of "market forces" is always a persuasive final argument for buying a tasty new toy before it becomes made of "unobtainium".
biggrin.gif
This works with all hobbies much to the current detriment of the old boy's wallet.
eek.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 8
If they build it, they might not come. I bet there's some Sony exec on a plane right now chillin' w/ his PSACDP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back