Does anyone make a retracting spool for headphone cables?
Feb 7, 2022 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jocar37

New Head-Fier
I have an 8 foot extension cord connected to my Grado RS2e's. Love these phones and the extension cord lets me listen in comfort. But when I take the phones off, I always have a problem trying to store the cord before I put the phones on their stand. It looks a mess and always seems to become tangled when I go to use the phones again. So I tried to find a spring-loaded spool that would (gently) unreel and retract the cable for safe storage and clean appearance.
I can't believe I'm the only one to ever have this problem, but I've been unable to find anyone who makes a spool that would resolve this. I'm hoping someone here knows of such a product - or alternatively has another solution I obviously haven't thought of.
Thanks in advance for the always helpful suggestions!

Feb 7, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 5
It would have to be a large spool with light recoiling tension to prevent it from destroying your headphone cable by putting too much stress on the wire. I just wrap my headphone extension the same way i wrap a mic cable after im done, using a small velcro tie.

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 5
Yeah. I use them on a lot of things. I didn't like the for this. The total length with the extension is just too much. Maybe it's my short attention span, but I tried a second tie, and it was just tedious, and still a little sloppy looking.
I agree it would have to be a light tension. But this isn't rocket surgery. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a proper tension.

Feb 7, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 5
Yeah. I use them on a lot of things. I didn't like the for this. The total length with the extension is just too much. Maybe it's my short attention span, but I tried a second tie, and it was just tedious, and still a little sloppy looking.
I agree it would have to be a light tension. But this isn't rocket surgery. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a proper tension.
An idea....look for a recoiler used with small air tools....possibly a dental drill/air system recoiler? Or possibly a recoiler used for small air tools in general?

Feb 7, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 5
There are cable coilers but I only know of manual ones, meaning an end of the cable is held in place and you rotate the coiler to wind the cable back up.

Have not seen an automatic one but I'd have concerns with them damaging the connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back