Does anyone make a digital audio "head unit" with USB in?
Sep 17, 2006 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

yoyology

New Head-Fier
This is a question that has bugged me for some time.

I have a 6GB Seagate portable USB hard drive about the size of a can of Skoal. It's a great way to carry files around. I can plug it into pretty much any computer and play the sound files on it. Several car stereo manufacturers are also making head units that will allow me to plug in my USB storage device and play music files.

Does anyone make a portable unit that will do the same thing? It seems like a very logical niche market. So much so, that I often find myself wondering if some company holds a patent and is sitting on it so that nobody makes one. Imagine, a portable audio device that you don't have to replace to upgrade storage, just buy a different memory stick or other media!

I know that there are players out there that take SD and other types of memory cards, but this seems like a more elegant solution to me.

Sep 18, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 5
yoyology says,
Quote:

Does anyone make a digital audio "head unit" with USB in?

Great mind! I was thinking the same thing. I believe there are a couple of players that you can plug-in stick memory.

I think the big problem is battery life.

Sep 18, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazychimp132
I believe the Iaudio x5 can read from usb drives, but it has 20 GB anyway.

Yeah. I had seen that one some time ago, but you've anticipated my objection. I don't want to spend $250 on the thing, and I don't need storage. I've got the storage in hand.

pds6, I hadn't considered the battery problem. I can see how that would be a concern, especially with an external drive like the Seagate that requires USB power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back