Does anyone listen to orchestrated videogame music?
Aug 10, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
And yet nobody has mentioned Castlevania.

Even NES era stuff was great and atmospheric.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #32 of 57
I don't really think the Air OST benefits from orchestration. Bigger is not better here; which is why chamber music exists.

Don't think anything from Ys series does either.

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
I don't really think the Air OST benefits from orchestration. Bigger is not better here; which is why chamber music exists.

Don't think anything from Ys series does either.

I'll agree that bigger != better. I've found that orchestrated versions of game music, with the much wider soundstage (compared to the synth originals) sometimes can lose alot of the personal feel that made certain tracks shine. It's hard to regain that feeling with so many people.

But there's alot to be said for the use of real instruments, esp. strings and piano, over synths where possible in the original recordings.

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #34 of 57
I would have mentioned the music from the NES Castlevania's but it isnt orchestrated so I didnt. Serioulsy some of the coolest video game music ever though. Castlevania III was the best though. Super Castlevania IV on SNES was cool too.

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #35 of 57
The only game music I have that's orchestrated are the WarCraft II and III soundtracks. Everything else is electronic or synthesized in one way or another - Descent II, Quake, Half-Life, et al. The WarCraft soundtracks are cool stuff, very awe-inspiring.

Aug 12, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #37 of 57
Quote:

This is a place where you can get some CD's (these seem like the real deal, no bootlegs):
http://www.gamemusic.com

I'll second that recommendation, many many (okay, around 6-8) years ago I bought a bunch of CDs from them, and they weren't bootlegs, some sheet music books too. It doesn't look like they've changed too much over the years.

Aug 26, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #38 of 57
By the way, you guys know that you can get cool videogame remixes here, right?:

http://www.ocremix.org/

Best videogame music community I have ever encountered. All kinds of genres explored in the remixes as well. Very highly recommended site, I'd say.

Also, the music is free.
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117
By the way, you guys know that you can get cool videogame remixes here, right?:

http://www.ocremix.org/

Best videogame music community I have ever encountered. All kinds of genres explored in the remixes as well. Very highly recommended site, I'd say.

Also, the music is free.
wink.gif

Hehe, some bubblebobble remixes are fun as hell.
smily_headphones1.gif
Real fast techno with that classic kiddy melody we oldschool gamer fans love.
lambda.gif

*edit* dang, seems like they have removed that one from their site.

Aug 26, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #40 of 57
Super Smash Bros. Smashing Live! is an incredibly nice orchestrated piece of VGM.

Aug 26, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
Hehe, some bubblebobble remixes are fun as hell.
smily_headphones1.gif
Real fast techno with that classic kiddy melody we oldschool gamer fans love.
lambda.gif

*edit* dang, seems like they have removed that one from their site.

They just went thru a recent lockdown, so I don't know if it got scrapped in this recent round-up or before.

I believe they have a site listed somewhere referencing the mixes that got taken down and where you can get them. I don't know where that is, though.

Edit: Is it any wonder that Castlevania music translates so well to metal? I think not!

Aug 31, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #42 of 57
Sep 10, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #43 of 57
The Ace Combat series from Namco (well, now bandai-namco) always has awesome music. The orchaestrated pieces from AC4 and AC5 (especially "The Unsung War" from AC5) are so awesome they shake your f'n head. The latest Ace Combat game (AC: Zero) has some nice spanish-guitar. Some other Game OSTs that i've enjoyed that havent been mentioned in this thread: Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Ar Tonelico, Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2, Lumines, and Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior)

Sep 10, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
Anybody remember the music from Total Annihilation? That was some pretty epic orchestrated music. Damn fine game too. I wonder if Supreme Commander will have the same kind of epic music as well.

The soundtrack to Total Annihilation is probably the only one I can think of that seriously left me awed. First time I heard it sounded kinda odd, since it seemed unusual to put so much quality into in game music but once I got into the gameplay it all made sense. Honestly, having twenty big berthas pummeling a gigantic wave of uncoming mechs just doesn't seem right without a truly epic soundtrack backing it up. I also loved how the music would change depending on the gameplay, how cool was that?!

Imho Supreme Commander won't be complete without a soundtrack like TA; it would be criminal for Chris Taylor to leave something out like this!

Sep 10, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #45 of 57
I have to give a bit of love to Masashi Hamauzu here of FFX and Dirge of Cerberus fame, among others. His DoC soundtrack is some fantastic dark orchestral stuff that's truly excellent. His works on FFX and SaGa Frontier II are favorites as well, and Junya Nakano's tracks on FFX are quite good. Ironically, Uematsu was the weak link on that OST.

Yuki Kajiura's Xenosaga 2 OST is a recent favorite as well, probably my favorite of her works (anime or otherwise). Drag-On Dragoon 2 (Drakengard in the US) has a ridiculous choral intro piece that just about killed me first time I heard it. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was sampled, but some of the tracks are surprisingly lifelike. Too bad Michiru Yamane kinda fell apart compositionally after that OST.

For domestic composers, Michael Giacchino from the Metal of Honor games and Jeremy Soule are both standouts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back