Does anyone listen to drum n' bass
Jan 8, 2002 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Hermann

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

my first topic. So be nice to me.
wink.gif

Well listen to dn'b and looking for more info on that.

To mention some:

Leftfield
Massive Attack
Comp
Little Axe
Portishead
Tricky
Gus Gus and T-World (?)
K&D (?) seem no Trance should be dn'b
Moloko

Any recommendation would be fine

Cheers
Hermann

Jan 8, 2002 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Hermann
Well listen to dn'b and looking for more info on that.

To mention some:

Leftfield
Massive Attack
Comp
Little Axe
Portishead
Tricky
Gus Gus and T-World (?)
K&D (?) seem no Trance should be dn'b
Moloko

First of all, I am foncused -- are those things you like, and you want recommendations of more like them, or do you like dn'b, and you want to know about these? Not sure any of those are drum'n'bass. Maybe Leftfield's second album.

A lot of those are trip-hop -- Tricky*, Gus Gus, Portishead.

Little Axe is a really cool album.

[size=xx-small]*well, at least the first album...[/size]

Jan 8, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 18
Geetings Herman
Most of those groups are not really drum n bass, here are the main groups of that style (aka jungle) Looking down this list I find I don't own a single CD in this group, so I guess I am not a fan of this style.
http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=C2640

I do love Massive Attack especially "mezzanine" which is a masterpiece of trip hop. Portishead "dummy" is OK, Tricky is a spin off member from massive attack, but I don't care for his solo work. Leftfield "leftism" is love by critics but I find it very repetitive and boring.

Jan 8, 2002 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 18
Hi Hermann
I like drum&bass.
Look out for Panacea one of your countrymen I belive,it's savage
stuff and good to frighten the neighbours with!
But I love it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 9, 2002 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 18
Yep...Panacea and some of his labelmates on he Position Chrome label are pretty much at the 'savage' end of Drum and Bass. Other artists to look out for might be Ed Rush/Optical/Nico, Photek, Quoit, Matrix, LTJ Bukem, Roni Size....heaps of stuff out there. The link DA provided looks like a good springboard.

A lot of the artists you mentioned -as Dusty and DA pointed out - aren't really drum and bass - they are more downtempo/chill/dub which I prefer to drum and bass anyway
tongue.gif

Jan 9, 2002 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 18
The ram squad, Dom and Roland, kosheen, stakka and skynet, mampi swift, teebee, )EIB(, are some examples of what im into. As mentioned before a lot on your list isnt really dnb.

Jan 9, 2002 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 18
Todd Terry's Resolutions is good,a nice combination of moods.

Feb 4, 2002 at 11:40 AM Post #11 of 18
Hi There,

first I have to apologise for that late response but due to my illness right after the posting I counld reply. Getting better now.

It's alot of stuff you mentioned. Thanks for that. You're right some of it isnt really RnB. but I'm not that deep in classify that type of music.

I will work out the links and get some of you recommodation. This may take a while.

Cheers

Hermann

Feb 5, 2002 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 18
Not really into D&B. More trip-hop like other guys have said. But try LTJ Bukem and DJ Shadow.

The Unkle album is great.

I love Lamb, but they are more 'melodic' d&b. female lyrics over d&b music. great combination. better than it sounds!

Feb 5, 2002 at 11:49 AM Post #13 of 18
try this one:
http://www.newelement.org/josh

he is probably the most famous d'n'b-guy on the internet
music scene. besides being such a talented musician he
even does some wonderful 3d-modelling.

his style is somewhere between ambient, jpop and d'n'b.
get his stuff - it's free !

Feb 6, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #14 of 18
Judging by the other artists you've mentioned, I think you have similar tastes to me. As far as drum 'n bass goes, I'd recommend Squarepusher and the later Aphex Twin albums. For Squarepusher "Hard Normal Daddy" is probably his best, followed by the new "Go Plastic" album. For Aphex Twin, I recommend the Richard D James album. I think it is line with the rest of your interests. You might also want to check out Air "Moon Safari". Not dnb, but it's another critic's favorite as far as electronic music goes. Primal Scream's "Screamadelica" is excellent too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back