Does Anyone Like the Ultrasone Pro 900?
Jan 13, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #16 of 24
Bear in mind that you really MUST burn them in for 150 hours at least if they are anything like the 750... I wonder how many would detect it´s the same headphone on a blind test with a new 750 and one that has had 150hours of burn in. Mine for sure did transform several times to much that it´s beyond any doubt it´s just a bad or good ear day
smily_headphones1.gif

I don´t remember exactly but they where very bass heavy until the highs opened up. But it was for sure more then 60 hours of usage before that happened. When new the bass was definiatly dominant. Made my Dt 770 PRO seem week in that department. However the DT 770 PRO is extremely bass heavy anyway the 750 seem very good balanced for me

I am on the verge to order the 900 though since I love the 750 so much... I am just grasping for bad reviews to come to my senses and continue to be happy with my 750s lol.

As for bass heavy well everything is relative. I run with a bass shaker and if I disable my LFE I wonder where all the bass went
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #17 of 24
Hows the appearance of this pro900? I have seen Pro650 and IMO it looks real cheap, Everywhere is heavy blue plastic and bad quality looking plastic trust me, the cable is blue too and looks just like my telephone cable...I mean Pro900's price matched up Grado R1/2, Denon D5000 etc hey, I am sure they can make the appearance better and use better material to make it look at least more expensive hey... I still think Edition 9 is the best looking, which means Ultrasone cares about appearance...

Please let me know your opinions on PRo900...thanks.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #18 of 24
thread;4875881 said:
I was able to hear the 900's recently, and I thought they were bass heavy. The bass that was there was very good and clean, but it seemed a bit out of proportion. This is coming from a regular Edition 9 user. (I've never heard the 750 or 2500.)

If I was a crazy basshead -- and I think I probably was when I started in this hobby -- I would go for these phones if I could stomach the asking price. But today, I don't think I would go for them. I love my bass, but it needs to be more balanced for me these days.
QUOTE]

so, which has the more dominant, richer bass and low frequency response (more dominant in the mix) - the 900 or the edition 9? i thought the edition 9 was the daddy in that dept?

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #19 of 24
Seems to be a lot of people who speak about the bass on the Ultrasone Pro 900. Well, I recently got mine and have yet to listen to them really. I currently own a headphone with quite a bit of bass, particularly the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80 ohm) model. I'll probably try to compare them and see how they fair against these. My DT770 have probably been well burned in considering I've had them for 2 years now. I have yet to start burning in my Ultrasone Pro 900, but will probably see how they sound prior to burn-in out of the box compared to my burned in DT770's. I don't quite remember how my DT770s sound before burn in as its been awhile. The DT770s were my first purchased headphones. It actually took me awhile before I decided to buy a new headphone for myself.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #20 of 24
listening to the ultrasone pro 900 cabled at canjam, i can definitely say it is off my list of wants. the immediate thing i noticed was the extremely boomy bloated bass. i thought the denon d7000 already had more than enough bass even though it was really clean, but the ultrasone pro 900 has just WAY too much bass. i believe the pro 900 i tried has already finished burn-in. as for mods on it, other than recable, i dont think any.

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #21 of 24
j2keiThere you`re wrong! Just 15-30 min for the mod which costs virtually nothing. And you have the just right sound.

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #22 of 24
It's all a matter of opinion though. I think the bass on the PRO900s is the best of all the headphones i've ever tried. Yet others think it is too much. For me, it's just right.
I think if you're a bit of a bass head that enjoys heavy bass music like rock/metal/dance music, etc, then you will REALLY enjoy the bass these headphones provide. If you prefer more neutral, laid back music like classical, acoustic, then i dunno, bass could be too much for you're tastes. I personally think they sound great with ALL genres.
Only real way to know for sure is to try them yourself.

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #23 of 24
Yeah, I figured trying them would be the only way to determine whether they suit what I want or not. I should really get some closed headphones, I just don't like using them in public where it tends to be noisy. I like open headphones a lot, just more so in a peaceful quite environment such as at home(though sometimes this isn't even the case as it is quite noisy at times).

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the money...laid back, but wide.....warm and mellow but with great sound... would compare them more to the D5000s which I love, but less lush....Now that's confusing..
biggrin.gif

It has its unique sound...

IT IS confusing ! I often described them that way (dark,warm) but i never meant it in a bad way. Its hard to understand when you didn't hear em.So musical and atmospheric at the same time.This mixed up with a fair amount of well controlled bass , make your music feel ...... BIG !
tongue_smile.gif

Like one thread title say: There's something about Ultrasone .......

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I believe in "burn-in", especially with phones, to shape and tighten up the sound, however, I also believe that "burn-in" will not altogether change the signature of the phone.

Shape and tighten the sound , IT DOES ! Honnestly , i think they seriously lost HALF the amount of bass they had when not burn in.It can't be measure, but its as crazy as that and like you said, it actually keep it sound signature.

aaaaaaahhh ! Burning a pair of PRO900 .... Its quite an experience !
rolleyes.gif

At least for basshead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back