Does anyone know where i can purchase USB parts to make a usb cable for my dac?
Nov 28, 2009 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Baird GoW

500+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know where i can purchase USB parts (plugs) to make a usb cable for my dac?

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 11
I've been looking as well without any luck.

You could splice some, but I would personally want a nice clean cable without any splicing.

so anyone know :>?

Nov 28, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 11
WOW THANK YOU you have no idea how long i looked for them.
by any chance do any you know which way to solder the wires from a to b (what solderpoint on A goes to what solder point on B)

Nov 28, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 11
thanks i for got the term pinout

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #8 of 11
Is it the case with DIY'ing a USB cable of upgrading the wire.. say 24AWG copper for each of the four wires there now plus some tech-flex over the lot?

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #9 of 11
Most hi-grade USB cables have 2x24AWG for power and a 28AWG twisted pair for data. I guess you can get gold-plated connectors and RF chokes. Let's see if silver-coated stranded copper sounds different. What if we replace the twisted pair with 300-ohm TV-cable? Don't you think the hucksters have already tried this? This is not rocket science. Oh, the tech-flex protects the electric field and makes it better?

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 11
Mouser is great, but no gold plated shells, but high quality nonetheless. You could also buy some short cables from Monoprice for like a $1 a piece and harvest the shells from them. Not too difficult if you have a sharp exacto and a steady hand.

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most hi-grade USB cables have 2x24AWG for power and a 28AWG twisted pair for data. I guess you can get gold-plated connectors and RF chokes. Let's see if silver-coated stranded copper sounds different. What if we replace the twisted pair with 300-ohm TV-cable? Don't you think the hucksters have already tried this? This is not rocket science. Oh, the tech-flex protects the electric field and makes it better?

What is the purpose of your post? You are not going to dissuade people from wanting to make their own cables and you certainly aren't helping those with honest questions.

People make their own cables for a variety of reasons. Some want to experiment with different conductors to see if they hear a difference (the only way to decide one's personal opinion on the "matter/don't matter" debate), some play with damping and shielding schemes to better protect the signal, and some do it for entirely aesthetic or ergonomic reasons. Oh, and sometimes it is just plain more fun and satisfying to build rather than buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back