does anyone know if the Sennheiser HD497 are semi-closed headphones?
Oct 10, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 8
They're open phones, and pretty nice ones for the price, but with comfort issues.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by sfxjames

Oct 10, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 8
I currently have the HD497s in my possession. They certainly do have open backs and so by strict definition they would probably be considered open phones but they don't leak very much noise and they do isolate from environmental noise a little bit so for all intents and purposes I would consider them a de facto semi-closed phone--a semi-closed phone undercover if you will.

Oct 10, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 8
I got to play w/a pair at the recent denver head-fi meet and I was very impressed w/the 497's. Best sound of the under $100 cans I've heard. They are open, but don't leak nearly as much as, say, the HD600's.

Oct 11, 2003 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by jonandabby
Tyson - have you tried the HD 280's? How do the 497's compare?

I've formerly owned the 497s and 280s. To my ears, there's no comparison. I found the 497s sounded like I was listening to music behind a curtain. I mean, it's a damned good set of cans for the money -- but not as detailed and strong as the 280s. Ultimately, I got rid of them in favor of Grados.

--Chris

Oct 11, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by jonandabby
Tyson - have you tried the HD 280's? How do the 497's compare?

I have both of these cans, and I prefer the 280s from a stronger source, but the 280s are a little harder to drive, so from a portable source such as an iPod, I might go with the 497s.

Oct 12, 2003 at 8:08 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by sfxjames

They are suppossed to be fully open, but they don't leak nearly as much sound as my Grados do. I am betting it is more because of where the vents are and how much of them there are in in comparison to the Grados or other more open phones. And like others have said, they are great for their price. I compared them to the HD280 at the Denver meet and prefered the HD497 to the HD280. And from my memories of the Sony V6, they easily beat those too. But it's a tougher call between the SR60 I heard at that meet and the HD497, but the HD497 seem to have more bass impact and be able to handle my bright Sony D-14 more easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back